Thread: Double Data the new Copy Software

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I only used Double Data once, and found it to be slower than R3DDM. But I think that's because my /2 destination drives were fairly slow. If the primary destination is very fast, I think that's when you'll start to see a speed improvement over R3DDM.
    At the time, I had a couple complaints, and I'm not sure if they've been resolved or not:
    .profile files are not copied
    OS X .Spotlight-V100 files are copied, which clutters the log

I'm trying out this software again on a shoot this weekend, and having major problems. I've reported them to the developer, so hopefully they can get resolved quickly. In the meantime, I'm still using R3DDM.

Yup, same problems here. DD has crashed on average about once a day for me. Data Manager on the other hand has only crashed a handful of times in the many years I've been using it. I'm just not willing to use a program that crashes that often, so I'm sorry to say it, but I'm still working with Data Manager. Also I found that Double Data's "Project Info" was a major step backwards from Data Manager. Some fields don't seem to be persistent across multiple downloads. Also why the hell can't it automatically detect the media ID? I know the cards have serial numbers and it's all in the metadata. This can't possibly be that hard! And I have to hit the little plus? I can't drag it over from the desktop! Arrrgh. *end rant*

I have tested DD on multiple machines and found it significantly slower (read unusable on set) when compared to R3D DM. I have also had no response from emails sent via the website and software to try and help figure out why this is the case. A total waste of money. In my opinion R3D DM is still the best verified back up app out there for RED, so it is really surprising that DD is such a flop.
    Russell Campbell
    Epic Dragons, RED One MX
    www.oceansenseproductions.com

has it improved at all guys? my DP is insisting I use it for check sums for an upcoming alexa job...i don't mind doing so but the above reviews got me a little uneasy...
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

I have been using Double Data for a fair while now and do like it. I have not Hague it hang on me for a long time.

My own experience using Double Data on Alexa shoots never had an issue. Sure, the interface could have been designed better, but never lost a bit of data.

Cannot testify to the speed reports as I never used the older program.

Solid for me since the latest release. Use it exclusively now. Experience with R3D files.

Battistella
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Hmmm... Must be time to check it out.

thanks for the thread all

FWIW - I have used it for quite a while and never had a problem. Switched from R3D DM not too long after it was introduced. Older MB Pro running latest OS (currently on Mavericks).