Thread: Hack Pro Computer Build

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Hack Pro Computer Build 
    Senior Member Brennan Robideaux's Avatar
    After getting my BT R1MX and shooting some incredible footage, I brought them onto my iMac to learn that there is simply no way that I could ever edit anything from RED on it. Slow as molasses. Not too surprising.

So, I looked into the NoFilmSchool's updated hackintosh and modified it a bit for my liking. For those who are interested, here is the link to the wishlist that will be my hackintosh: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=22278146 (couple pieces missing)

At around $2200, I think this is a pretty incredible computer. It shipped today, so if anyone would like me to post the results when it comes in, let me know.
    Brennan Robideaux

BT R1MX #10137

Vimeo

Twitter

I have the same motherboard and processor. I love mine. Your PSU may be over kill. But looks like a good build to me! I have a very similar build and it works great. Its more stable than my late 2009 Mac Pro.
    Reel | Weddings | Windsong | My Site

Scarlet-X #00749

I'm giving this one two thumbs up. I think you'll be pleased. Hate to say it, but you'll still have a better time with it running Windows... not saying you won't still want to boot into OSX as well.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

From my guru tech friend:

We're going to install the 4x 2TB's into a RAID 6 setup. If I fill up the RAID setup too fast, at least by the time it happens, then more storage will be significantly cheaper. The extra 250Gb drive pretty much for time machine.

In addition, I'm ordering two Dell U2312HM flat panel monitors. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...55&Tpk=u2312gm)
    Brennan Robideaux

BT R1MX #10137

Vimeo

Twitter

cross-examiner
    Thanks for posting. This is what makes this filmmakers community different (E :-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Thanks Brennan.
    DCINE
    Cinematografia Digital
    www.dcine.tv
    www.vimeo.com/dcine
    www.facebook.com/Dcine.Digital.Cinema

2x RED 1 MX
    2x EPIC M
    1x EPIC X
    2x SCARLET

5i set coming
    Leica set coming

atendimento@dcine.tv
    raphael@dcine.tv

SAO PAULO / BRASIL / 55.11.55498419

What do I need in addition to run a Resolve?
    What about temperature in this monster??
    Thanks a lot.
    Cheers
    DCINE
    Cinematografia Digital
    www.dcine.tv
    www.vimeo.com/dcine
    www.facebook.com/Dcine.Digital.Cinema

2x RED 1 MX
    2x EPIC M
    1x EPIC X
    2x SCARLET

5i set coming
    Leica set coming

atendimento@dcine.tv
    raphael@dcine.tv

SAO PAULO / BRASIL / 55.11.55498419

nice... does it come in brushed aluminum?
    Here's hoping for a replacement macPro this year- these in the studio are getting a little tired.
    Last edited by Ev Shipard; 02-07-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    ev shipard

creative director

Cartel Artists Pty Ltd

imdb
    tumblr

Thank you all for the responses. I will make sure to take pictures and maybe even take some video when we are setting it up.

Ev, it doesn't come in brushed aluminium but you can get the same case in white or military green.

Raphael, I can't answer the question about Resolve. I am not too sure. But the temperature should not get that hot. The case has fans on pretty much everything and a hydro cooler for the CPU. I am interested to see how loud it gets. I will definitely post results on that.

Any more questions?
    Brennan Robideaux

BT R1MX #10137

Vimeo

Twitter

Ok, the parts came in and the computer is officially built. Running like a champion so far. Please take a look at the pictures and the timelapse video of the build.

The build was relatively easy. The whole unit went together like legos. It's all just a matter of knowing the correct order to install the parts in.
    (The only thing we messed up on was installing the video card before connecting the hard drives to the SATA ports.)

The case is pretty remarkable. Being a nice case, it gives you the option to remove the opposite side panel to route wires behind the motherboard. This really cleans up the interior of the case and helps with air circulation.
    In addition, the fact that the case has hard drive trays makes it really simple to add or remove more drives.

As far as heat and power consumption, this machine does not get hot. Seriously. The processor is running at about 110 F and the hard drives around 100. With that stated, it's probably safe to push the processor a little bit and overclock.

It benchmarked a score of 12766 on GeekBench with 32-Bit processing. Other machines with this similar setup seem to be getting around 15000, but i think it is the memory I chose that's slowing me down.

The OS X installation was very smooth. While the RAID setup on the motherboard wouldn't be recognized by OS X, installing to the SSD, setting up the Time Machine backup, and setting up RAID with disk utility was a breeze. If you want to know the setup procedure for this system, please PM me. I will not be openly posting how I specifically got OS X to run.

The only thing I have left to wait on is my monitors. The man from eBay has been "Sick", so until then, i've been making due with my HP 2311x.

I will also be uploading a video showcasing the insane restart speed as well as the integration of RED footage with Premiere Pro CS6. Please ask any questions. Thanks!
    Attached Images
    Brennan Robideaux

BT R1MX #10137

Vimeo

Twitter