Thread: Platinum IRNDs on Epic = BAD

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Hey Phil,
    You once rated NISI IRND Nano's as one of the top six in another post. It is conspicuously absent from this list. Might fall into your "etc" catagory. In my opinion best ND I have ever used and sheds water like a duck because of the nano coating. Wish they made a Nano optical flat due to that feature. Only drawback is that they might not be so good in rental with inexperienced or careless AC's because of the nano non reflective coating (why the rental companies talked the filter manufacturers into NOT putting coatings on professional cinema filters). I guess NISI didn't get the memo. Great personal use filters though. Clean clear and true.

Also, I have often wondered anyone would put an uncoated filter over an expensive multi coated lens unless they wanted to reduce contrast, considering that coated cinema filters are available today. Habit maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    Hey Phil,
    You once rated NISI IRND Nano's as one of the top six in another post. It is conspicuously absent from this list. Might fall into your "etc" catagory. In my opinion best ND I have ever used and sheds water like a duck because of the nano coating. Wish they made a Nano optical flat due to that feature. Only drawback is that they might not be so good in rental with inexperienced or careless AC's because of the nano non reflective coating (why the rental companies talked the filter manufacturers into NOT putting coatings on professional cinema filters). I guess NISI didn't get the memo. Great personal use filters though. Clean clear and true.
    Yep, they pass color-wise. There's more than that I can include for sure.

I know what I use however and have tested everything. Still do.

The short answer I can say is if the filter has a visible color tint, try to avoid it. i.e. some of the various early IRND tech had a green bias across strengths. I would aim for any of the newer nano-tech filter technology before reaching for something else. In some cases even just regular NDs are a good option up to a certain point.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon