Thread: Ted talks about the Red Ray and HFR

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Will there be RedRay discs that you can buy and collect, like you can now with BluRay?

I like having a physical disc.
    From what I understand there are no physical RedRay disks

True. Even if it does go down half in price, it wont matter too much I guess. It would be exciting to display Blue Ray through the Redray. Didn't Ted say something about the signal being uprezzed or something like that.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    For big ticket items, I agree with you. Although I haven't ordered one yet myself, I don't see the potential for maybe a $750 savings in 12 or 18 months as much of an incentive. Right now, I think the biggest deterrent is lack of content (other than my own RED footage) and no affordable 4K displays available yet. When ODEMAX launches, it may make sense to get one and just hook it up to a regular HD display for now; if for nothing else than to test .RED files before putting them up to ODEMAX.

It's going to be an exciting year!
    RED camera owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Will there be RedRay discs that you can buy and collect, like you can now with BluRay?

I like having a physical disc.
    Interesting question. I've heard mention that you can put a .RED encode on a thumb drive for playback on the player, so I guess you could substitute optical disk media for the flashdrive and with a USB disk player, play that back on the Red Ray Player.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

I believe you can actually hook up an external hard drive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Interesting question. I've heard mention that you can put a .RED encode on a thumb drive for playback on the player, so I guess you could substitute optical disk media for the flashdrive and with a USB disk player, play that back on the Red Ray Player.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I believe you can actually hook up an external hard drive too.
    I vaguely recall that as well. But do you remember WTI (what the interface) that would use? I suppose a USB 2.0 dock would work.

EDIT: I wish the player had at least, a USB 3.0 connector to offload the internal drive's contents onto an external drive for storage.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 01-14-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Thinking about the .RED codec... I guess this would qualify as irony that the Dragon at say 3:1 quality and 96 fps would require some of the more massive media rates for capture, while the .RED format for viewing requires only a USB 2.0 connection for viewing. To be able to master both ends, high data rate and low data rate as well... that's just amazing.

EDIT: Not sure you can capture 96 fps at 3:1, but at whatever setting, that's a lot of data.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 01-14-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Ted Rocks!!!!!!!!!

The Red Ray Player has USB2 and E-sata connections Both of which you can attach a drive for infinite content storage.

Larry

One thing that I'm a bit concerned about, is that RED is entering the consumer-market in a way, with this thing.

No the normal consumer isn't going to pay 1450 dollars for a media player, but it isn't only high end professionals at that point (Blu-Ray was about something like that for early adopters). So, while professionals can put a context to how innovative RED is with their camera's etc, and that delays are part of the manufacturing period, I think a rich consumer pre-ordering a REDRAY on the RED website won't think it will be nice if the product has a 6month delay or more.

I think with the whole ODEMAX release and stuff, they are prepared, and I really hope so for them. On the other hand, I have to be honest: as great products as Epic and Scarlet are, Jim also said in the beginning that the product would be bullet-proof out of the gate because of what they learned with REDOne. I'm not sure they always had that in the beginning of the Epic-Days.

I wish them all the luck in the world though. It seems they have a distribution plan that has the potential to really shake up the whole industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kelly View Post
    The Red Ray Player has USB2 and E-sata connections Both of which you can attach a drive for infinite content storage.

Larry
    e SATA? Good. That satisfies the offload bandwidth needs.