Thread: Epic Firmware Upgrade

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Whitehurst View Post
    After step #4, if you open the SSD on your computer, do you see the Force Upgrade folder? Maybe the files are not actually copying to the SSD because itʻs in Read-only mode by default.

NOTE: RED Watchdog (MAC Only) mounts the MAG read-only by default. Change preference to mount Read-Write before attempting to copy firmware to the MAG.

https://www.red.com/downloads/4f56854e6261f95a5700069b

Yes I see the force upgrade folder in the SSD

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    One more thing... make sure you drag the whole "Force Upgrade" folder to the SSD, not just the Force Upgrade file that's inside the folder. The camera looks for that folder.
    Yes, and still not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy White View Post
    Format the SSD in camera (to make sure there is nothing on it).

When you drag the 'force upgrade' folder onto the (newly formatted) SSD, that should be the only folder in the root.

Basically, the Epic is forced to upgrade when the folder is in the root.

Question - are you inserting the SSD into the Epic whilst it is already switched on?

If so, it won't update - you need to insert the SSD then turn on the Epic and that will kick in the update process.

It's all detailed out at red.com also - https://www.red.com/downloads/4f56854e6261f95a5700069b

EDIT - just re-read your steps... you seem to be doing everything OK... I'd suggest maybe grabbing an older update and seeing if that works?
    [/COLOR]

Do you have any idea where I can get an older upgrade to see if it will work?

Thanks for all the help

https://www.red.com/downloads/4f56854e6261f95a570006a5

Just scroll down the list on this page - it's the release history... and has all the previous versions.

If you login to the site with your ID, you can access the links.

Thanks a lot Andy

Good luck!

If you're still having problems, open a ticket with RED and they'll help/guide you more.

Only other thing I can think is to repeat the process with a different SSD.

Thanks to everyone that posted suggestions. I appreciate all of you. It finally worked. What I did was that I went back to an earlier version as suggested by Andy. I first upgraded to version 2.0.5 and when that worked I upgraded to version 3.0.0 then when that also worked I then upgraded to version 3.3.15. And it worked. Thanks

Great news!

Looks like this might be useful info if anyone is updating very early Epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    One more thing... make sure you drag the whole "Force Upgrade" folder to the SSD, not just the Force Upgrade file that's inside the folder. The camera looks for that folder.
    Christopher,

I owe a beer! I've been trying to upgrade to 5.2.29 for about an hour and a half and was getting VERY frustrated. I didn't want to ask for help as I figured my issue had been posted many times before...and I know it's best to search the forum before posting a new question to the thread. For the life of me I thought you were supposed to unzip the .bin file. I'm on a mac so that was becoming impossible (even with going through the terminal screen). I thought you were supposed to drag and copy the file to the SSD...not the FOLDER with the file inside!...After many failed attempts of reformatting the SSD, putting it in read/write setting....I finally found your comment where you said to copy the file & the folder...it worked. Just wanted to say Thanks! Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

Rome Will
    Epic, Xenon's, BT Viv, Ronin, and lots of other gear.

Thanks guys. The info help me update 2 Epic to same versions. We had issues at a multi camera shoot as the two cameras had different looks and menus. The updates sorted the issues.
    Kingsley Ogoro
    Arri Alexa Mini, Arri Alexa EV, Red Helium 8k, Red Epic-M Dragon, Cooke MiniS4, Angenieux, Zeiss CP2, Xeen Primes, Red Primes
    www.klinkstudios.com

Darn, this is sad. I'm on V4 and can't seem to go to the next oldest one on REDs site. I've tried almost every version on the list while following the steps properly and it just won't upgrade. I wonder if all 3 of my older 1.8 SSDs just aren't doing the trick. I mean, hell, it even runs the fans and flashes the LEDs like it's doing what it needs to. Then, sure enough, no results :(