Thread: Epic Firmware Upgrade

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Epic Firmware Upgrade 
    Hello friends,
    I wish to upgrade the epic firmware but i can't get my hands around it. The camera and Redmote has never been upgraded. Can I upgrade the camera first before the Redmote or it has to be the Redmote first? I use a mac. I have tried upgrading the camera firmware by copying the force_upgrade folder into the SSD, I put the SSD back into the camera and powered on, the fan runs, two red lights blink but only for max 3 seconds and thats it.
    Please can someone guide me.
    Last edited by Yinka Edward; 01-11-2013 at 10:28 AM.

for now, just take your redmote off the camera. hook your SSD up to your computer. drag the force upgrade folder on top of your SSD icon. after the force upgrade is copied unmount your SSD and put it in your camera. (camera is off). Turn on your camera. Your firmware should be upgraded automatically. Check your maintenance menu for upgrade version. Do a black shading. I think if you shutdown and put the redmote on, when you reboot you will be able to update your redmote from the camera. Make sure you have enough power for all this. The Black shading step is not necessary but should be done before you film stuff. Make sure you set your camera for desired settings for Black Shading for instance I Black Shade for my shooting settings 4K HD 48fps RC 8.1 not the default 5K 2:1. The upgrade only takes a few seconds, so check the menus to verify the version, it may already be done!

Thank you so much George for your reply, I've followed your instructions but it has just refused to work. Well I've shot some things before with the camera. COuld that be the reason why its not working. I even tried restoring factory settings. And it still did not work. I went over the process again but nothing. The version is still version 1.7.10. I even tried going into the SSD and I found a folder ( the folder was named: A002_0514G0.RDM) . I put the force upgrade folder into this folder. I ejected the SSD from the computer with my camera off. I put the SSD back into the camera, switched on the camera and it just came on and the version is still the same.

Hi Yinka, you do not want to put the force upgrade folder ino the "A002_0514G0.RDM" folder.

You want to put it at the "top floor" or root of the REDMAG. Meaning if you are on Windows or a Mac simply drag and drop the force upgrade folder onto the drive itself. Not in any subfolder.

When the upgrade initiates you will notice the fans coming on at full strength for a moment and then you're camera will shutdown. When you turn the camera back on, check the version. If it's been updated, format the REDMAG and you'll be on your way.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

download the new firmware again.
    format your ssd in your camera.
    Then hook up your ssd to your computer.
    move the force upgrade folder on top of your SSD icon to copy the force upgrade folder to the SSD.
    unmount the SSD from your computer or turn your computer off and then unhook the SSD.
    put the SSD in your camera and turn your camera on
    let us know what happens, this should work

Once again thanks for all the replies. I've gone through the process again
    1.) Formatted my SSD
    2.) Downloaded a new firmware
    3.) connected my SSD to the computer (mac). A hard drive icon appeared on the desktop and I
    4.) dropped the force upgrade on top of the icon
    5.) shut down my computer
    6.) removed the SSD from the redmag and put it into the camera
    7.) powered on the camera. Fans came on with full speed with two lights blinking then camera went off.
    8.) powered on my camera again. And the version is still the same version 1.7.10.

Where am i getting it wrong?
    Thanks

Format the SSD in camera (to make sure there is nothing on it).

When you drag the 'force upgrade' folder onto the (newly formatted) SSD, that should be the only folder in the root.

Basically, the Epic is forced to upgrade when the folder is in the root.

Question - are you inserting the SSD into the Epic whilst it is already switched on?

If so, it won't update - you need to insert the SSD then turn on the Epic and that will kick in the update process.

It's all detailed out at red.com also - https://www.red.com/downloads/4f56854e6261f95a5700069b

EDIT - just re-read your steps... you seem to be doing everything OK... I'd suggest maybe grabbing an older update and seeing if that works?

Quote Originally Posted by Yinka Edward View Post
    Once again thanks for all the replies. I've gone through the process again
    3.) connected my SSD to the computer (mac). A hard drive icon appeared on the desktop and I
    4.) dropped the force upgrade on top of the icon
    After step #4, if you open the SSD on your computer, do you see the Force Upgrade folder? Maybe the files are not actually copying to the SSD because itʻs in Read-only mode by default.

NOTE: RED Watchdog (MAC Only) mounts the MAG read-only by default. Change preference to mount Read-Write before attempting to copy firmware to the MAG.

https://www.red.com/downloads/4f56854e6261f95a5700069b

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    One more thing... make sure you drag the whole "Force Upgrade" folder to the SSD, not just the Force Upgrade file that's inside the folder. The camera looks for that folder.

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

Have you checked that the SSD actually has the force_upgrade folder on it?

I'm PC based - but you can simply open the SSD and see what folders it has on it - I'm sure the Mac can do this too ;)

It sounds like the SSD is empty, as your Epic is just reading it as a normal SSD (ready fro filming)... and that's why there is no force update process happening...

Maybe...?

EDIT - Jeff posted whilst I was typing... but I think this is the problem...