Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 460 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Nick, awesome thread. I remember years back when it was Pebble Place, Fred Miranda, a few random flickr pages and foggy lens tech folklore for figuring out this old glass. I thought I knew a bit but I just learned so much! Thank you!

I would take Contax Zeiss over Canon "Cine Primes," Zeiss Compact Primes, or the new "Superspeeds" any day. Give the AC a good follow focus and a rehearsal and make magic. After a year I know the barrel of each lens so well I can shoot documentary style and hit focus wide open by hand--the mechanics are just silk.

I am thinking of selling the lenses we tested together. If anyone wants seven of the best Zeiss lenses ever made, PM me. Your choice if you want them Cine-modded or not. (Nick hope you don't mind my piggy-back!)
    The more opinions you have, the less you see.
    Wim Wenders

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Gilmore View Post
    Nick,
    Great write up.

How much worse is the Yashica ML in your opinion? And do you think the coatings match the Contax. I have several of the ML lenses and I find them to be remarkably good quality but only had a Planner 50 1.7 to compare it to, which I've since sold.
    Honestly, I haven't shot with a lot of ML glass, so not sure. But mechanically they look superb (after all, Yashica was MAKING Contax lenses...). And their reputation...is pretty good. I don't think the coating is the same as Zeiss T*, though I wouldn't be surprised if Yashica tried their hardest to match. I do know the following however:

1) The Yashica 500 f8 Mirror lens has a superb reputation. I own one, and love it. There are some stills guys who say it's better even than the fabled Contax 500 f8, so there you have it...for 1/5 the price...Mine isn't crazy sharp, but for $300 it's hard to beat....an works perfectly with a Contax Mutar.

2) The Yashica 21mm is also supposed to be no slouch.

In general, after Canon FD and Rokkor glass, I think Yashica ML glass could be a REAL STEAL for budget conscious lens shoppers. Nice call.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan De Franco View Post
    I am thinking of selling the lenses we tested together. If anyone wants seven of the best Zeiss lenses ever made, PM me. Your choice if you want them Cine-modded or not. (Nick hope you don't mind my piggy-back!)
    Don't mind at all...All I want to know is...what you are you getting instead? Leica Rs? Do tell...!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Awesome post Nick... Thank you, that was very informative!

Damn Nick! That was rad :). Thanks dude... Learned a ton.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

My C/Y Zeiss lenses have been a WAY better investment than money in the bank (or the stock market). I paid around $250.00 for my 35-70/3.4 and around $800.00 for my 21/2.8 ... both in mint condition! Those were the days. Of course, that was way before RED and Leitax adapters. Back then, not all C/Y Zeiss lenses could be adapted for EOS cameras .... some lenses required minor surgery to make them useable.

Zeiss Lenses:

CY 21/2.8
    ZF 28/2.0
    CY 35-70/3.4
    CY 50/1.4
    ZF100/2.0

Nikon Lenses:
    G 14-24/2.8
    G 24-70/2.8
    D 80-200/2.8

Tokina Lenses:

11-16/2.8

Badass thread, been looking around for a guide like this

Bill that is an insane price for the 21, it's been hovering around 2,000 for as long as I can remember. Those were some days...

Nick my set is definitely for sale now!

Leitax adapters, 80 mil fronts and caps, de-clicked on request. Plus big wide focus rings that make em as wide as a Leica Summilux-C or Cooke mini-S4. 21, 28, 35, 50, 60, 85, 135, 28-135; folks PM me for the full deal. I love how they look on 35 neg and Red, it really pains me to see them go. I have nothing to replace them with, looks like I'll be borrowing and renting for a while :)

Happy new year fellow Contax friends. Also one incredible note: the close focus on these lenses will make your eyes pop.
    The more opinions you have, the less you see.
    Wim Wenders

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan De Franco View Post
    Bill that is an insane price for the 21, it's been hovering around 2,000 for as long as I can remember. Those were some days...

Nick my set is definitely for sale now!

Leitax adapters, 80 mil fronts and caps, de-clicked on request. Plus big wide focus rings that make em as wide as a Leica Summilux-C or Cooke mini-S4. 21, 28, 35, 50, 60, 85, 135, 28-135; folks PM me for the full deal. I love how they look on 35 neg and Red, it really pains me to see them go. I have nothing to replace them with, looks like I'll be borrowing and renting for a while :)

Happy new year fellow Contax friends. Also one incredible note: the close focus on these lenses will make your eyes pop.
    Ryan Pmed you

Just brilliant. Thanks Nick.