Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 468 of 469 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469 LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 4688
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    What about the 21mm f2.8 ZE? (Or ZF if you need the click stops, but not sure which direction that focuses in, others will know...)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1mm_f_2_8.html

Why are the Contax lenses so much more expensive than their optically updated ZE counterparts?
    Because they look way better
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Why are the Contax lenses so much more expensive than their optically updated ZE counterparts?
    It's like asking why Super Speeds are more popular than CP2s or even Ultra Primes for that matter.

The older coatings make a big difference. It's a look you can't fake.

But for a modern pristine look then there are definitely better options - from Milvus to Sigma PL
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    It's like asking why Super Speeds are more popular than CP2s or even Ultra Primes for that matter.

The older coatings make a big difference. It's a look you can't fake.

But for a modern pristine look then there are definitely better options - from Milvus to Sigma PL
    Do you know if the story is true about the 28mm f2 Contax being the same as a standard speed? The front elements look similar in size. If so, I wonder if the 60mm f2.8 macro, 100m f2, and 135mm share similar designs, too.

With Canon, the K35s and FD SSC Aspherical lenses that are allegedly the same have the same number of groups and elements, so I tend to believe they're at the very least similar.

But I can't find optical diagrams for standard speeds anywhere and I don't own a 28mm standard speed to compare.

Whatever it is the 28 is a beaut
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I'd get the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. I have a whole lot of Zeiss C/Y but also couldn't justify the price for the 21mm.
    If you need to take a bit of its bite off, use a weak Promist, but colors are pretty easy to match.

For something more vintage, the Minolta 21mm f2.8 is not that far behind the Zeiss if you find a good sample.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Do you know if the story is true about the 28mm f2 Contax being the same as a standard speed? The front elements look similar in size. If so, I wonder if the 60mm f2.8 macro, 100m f2, and 135mm share similar designs, too.
    The 28 f2 "Hollywood" is NOT exactly the same as the Standard Prime 28 T2 - I've tested them. The Standard Prime doesn't cover full frame, and is much sharper wide open. Otherwise they do look very similar however. If you stand them next to each other the are also very similar in size, tc. They are supposed to be cousins, optically. My assumption is that one of the elements in the Contax 28 f2 expands the coverage wider to cover vista but in turn loses some sharpness wide open. But I'm wildly guessing here.

I have also assumed like you that the 135 f2, 180 2.8, 60 2.8 Macro and 100 2.8 Macro were all rebadged/re-housed by Arri in PL during the 80's and 90's. I've shot with the Standard Prime 180 T3 and it certainly looked at quick glance like a rehouse of the Contax. If you look at photos of the Arri 60 and 100 Macros, they also look like rehouses. Again we're speculating but I think these are relatively safe/ok guesses.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    The 28 f2 "Hollywood" is NOT exactly the same as the Standard Prime 28 T2 - I've tested them. The Standard Prime doesn't cover full frame, and is much sharper wide open. Otherwise they do look very similar however. If you stand them next to each other the are also very similar in size, tc. They are supposed to be cousins, optically. My assumption is that one of the elements in the Contax 28 f2 expands the coverage wider to cover vista but in turn loses some sharpness wide open. But I'm wildly guessing here.

I have also assumed like you that the 135 f2, 180 2.8, 60 2.8 Macro and 100 2.8 Macro were all rebadged/re-housed by Arri in PL during the 80's and 90's. I've shot with the Standard Prime 180 T3 and it certainly looked at quick glance like a rehouse of the Contax. If you look at photos of the Arri 60 and 100 Macros, they also look like rehouses. Again we're speculating but I think these are relatively safe/ok guesses.
    Something along those lines would make sense to me. The Hasselblad 110mm f2 Planar and 100mm f2 Contax Planar, for instance, have similar optical designs. But the Contax has considerably better MTF and less coverage. I don't know the first thing about lens design but it would make sense that they're related but not the same.

I think the FDs and K35s might be the same or nearly the same, though. The 24mm, 55mm, and 85mm K35s all seem to cover full frame.

I think the 50mm standard speed does cover full frame, whereas other 50mm cinema lenses don't always. I wonder if it's the same as the Contarex.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 03-30-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Hi all,

I understand most of you are video shooters but I shoot stills and recently got a 28mm 2.8 in pristine condition aside for one thing - it has a 72mm filter thread. I think this is some kind of cinemod, but I'd prefer the 55mm filter thread if possible. I was just wondering if there's any way to get a replacement 55mm barrel (I can unscrew the 72mm filter but it removes the front plate (w the focal length, distagon etc), removing most of the front portion of the lens besides the glass itself). All I'd need is a replacement front barrel, but I'm not quite sure where to find one without buying a whole new lens. The replacement 72mm thread front has "S55-72" inscribed on it, but no other branding or anything that my searches have been able to find. Any advice?

Thanks and stay safe!

https://imgur.com/a/HDjQCNb

That's likely just a stepup ring (S55-72 implies the S is for step up, 55 is the native thread, 72 is the resulting thread) thats been fixed on with loctite. If you can't unthread it manually, try to remove it carefully with heat: https://www.hunker.com/13416387/how-to-remove-loctite

Was doing some quick analysis of all the C/Y Zeiss primes this weekend. Thought I would share my spreadsheet if useful reference to anyone: https://jmp.sh/PGTbRIG
    Last edited by Tim Erickson; 04-12-2020 at 02:55 PM.