Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 449 of 465 FirstFirst ... 349399439445446447448449450451452453459 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,490 of 4646
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post
    Yes, Nick, they mostly used Contax as the base for their anamorphics, though some sets (problably ordered by JDC et al) may have used actual cinema lenses. Neither Standard Primes nor Superspeeds have such round bokeh as these Cineovisions. Do you think it’s a new iris or just regular Contax?
    Yeah I think it's a new iris. No Contax I know of has circular iris!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post
    The 24mm FD 1.4 L (or the SSC) is wonderful. Great quality and beautiful flares, maybe the backgrounds are a little softer with that lens and the focus falloff is less abrupt than the typical Zeiss, but here it matches well enough IMHO!
    Yeah we're LOVING our 24 FD, and yes does seem to match nicely! Just used it last week for the first time!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Ignasio,

The coating is different on my 20mm than the Zeiss. Also it has a nine blade iris that seems aftermarket as it opens well past 3.5 but the glass is limited to 3.5. Somewhat of a disappointment but a nice lens for S35.

Here's some stills from a piece I wrapped this weekend. Contax 35mm f.1.4, 50mm f/1.4, and 100mm f/2.

Nice job!
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Georgios I think your right - I've never seen anything earlier than 59, as far as I recall.
    I hunted for a long time and emailed various people and i don't think there is a source either. Interesting that there may be dates inside some of the lenses though. I've seen 58 and i've seen up to 83x

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    I hunted for a long time and emailed various people and i don't think there is a source either. Interesting that there may be dates inside some of the lenses though. I've seen 58 and i've seen up to 83x

cheers
    Paul
    I get a little confused these days because I look at so many old Arri mount lenses with serials in the 5's, that I've lost track. But now that I think of it 58's make sense. I guess 57 too. But definitely no 56 (I've only seen those on Arrri bayonet lenses).
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Hey guys! I got a set of CY Zeiss and been happy with them for a couple of years now. My question is what is the like the max resolution they can handle? I shot the other day with the Helium in 8k on the 28mm 2.0 AEG and I saw a lot of CA in the high contrast areas. I’m not supersede because 8k is ridiculous but, what is everyone’s experience in regards to usable Resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cotton View Post
    Hey guys! I got a set of CY Zeiss and been happy with them for a couple of years now. My question is what is the like the max resolution they can handle? I shot the other day with the Helium in 8k on the 28mm 2.0 AEG and I saw a lot of CA in the high contrast areas. I’m not supersede because 8k is ridiculous but, what is everyone’s experience in regards to usable Resolution?
    Ben CA has nothing to do with resolution.

You can use these lenses on any sensor up to full frame.

If you'd stopped down on the 28 Hollywood, the CA should go away by an F4.
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I use my Contax lenses on a Sony A7R II with great results. It has 42 mpx…

Of course there are lenses which are not super sharp wide open (like the 25mm), but slightly stopped down they can compete with most modern glass.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Modern sensors can achieve 100-150 lp/mm at max, whilst the f2.8-f1.4 glass can reach 500-900 lp/mm in the center, so there's much room for sensor development