Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 448 of 465 FirstFirst ... 348398438444445446447448449450451452458 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 4649
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Georgios I think your right - I've never seen anything earlier than 59, as far as I recall.

Pretty sure I have owned a 57 in the past.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Thanks! I've an AEG Tele-Tessar 200mm f3.5 with 58xxxx serial number. This lens is the oldest in my collection.

I've just shot/edited this test video of our new set of Cineovision spherical lenses. It's supossedly based on Zeiss Contax glass from the 1980's, but my guess is that Cineovision put new irises on the lenses so they look identical and round, plus the flares are very Zeiss-like (at least, from my knowledge of Ultras, Masters, Standards, Superspeeds and Highspeeds) with some rainbow colors that remind me of Canon FD's (the 24mm is supposed to be the 24mm F1.4 FD L). What do you think? I'm not that familiar with Contax still glass at all. The 20mm should be the 20mm f2.8 flektogon and shows some veiling flare wide-open, with severe contrast improvement stopped down to T5.6.

Fabien Cousteau at Grand Cayman, Zeiss Contax 21mm.
    Attached Images
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea', Helium 8K S35 ‘Safe Passage’
    Gates Deep Weapon
    Hollis PRISM2 Rebreather System
    Red Sea Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Fabien Cousteau at Grand Cayman, Zeiss Contax 21mm.
    WOW - awesome!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Ignacio,

I have a Cineovision Zeiss set in BNCR mount. My Cineovision 20mm does not say Zeiss and says 2.8 on the lens front engraving, and also on the Iris ring. It is not a 2.8 and is not a Flectigon but is actually an Olympus Pen F half frame lens that only covers S35 and not full frame as the Zeiss do. Looks like Cineovision was representing this lens as a 2.8 when it never was and never could be.

Just bought another 50f1.7 that appears to be an AEJ despite have a '67' serial. Never seen an AE with so late a serial before.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Hello Vance,

My set doesn't have engraved any brand other than Cineovision. I know they are Zeiss lenses because i) that's what I was told and the serials can be Zeiss from the 70's and 80's and ii) the look of the 35-50-85mm is very Zeiss to my eyes. My set is in PL mount, but could have been converted from BNCR at some point.

I believe my 20mm T3 is a 20mm f2.8 Flektogon because the appearence of the glass is the same, plus it covers Alexa Open Gate 3.4K, which is a bigger sensor area than Super 35. I put the lenses on the projector and they cover FF35 from 24mm and up. My guess is that the 20mm doesn't cover full frame as it should per its still design because the Cineovision housing was made with Super 35 in mind and not Full Frame, so the 95mm front isn't big or wide enough and I'm seeing the front of the lens itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    Ignacio,

I have a Cineovision Zeiss set in BNCR mount. My Cineovision 20mm does not say Zeiss and says 2.8 on the lens front engraving, and also on the Iris ring. It is not a 2.8 and is not a Flectigon but is actually an Olympus Pen F half frame lens that only covers S35 and not full frame as the Zeiss do. Looks like Cineovision was representing this lens as a 2.8 when it never was and never could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignacio Aguilar View Post

I've just shot/edited this test video of our new set of Cineovision spherical lenses. It's supossedly based on Zeiss Contax glass from the 1980's, but my guess is that Cineovision put new irises on the lenses so they look identical and round, plus the flares are very Zeiss-like (at least, from my knowledge of Ultras, Masters, Standards, Superspeeds and Highspeeds) with some rainbow colors that remind me of Canon FD's (the 24mm is supposed to be the 24mm F1.4 FD L). What do you think? I'm not that familiar with Contax still glass at all. The 20mm should be the 20mm f2.8 flektogon and shows some veiling flare wide-open, with severe contrast improvement stopped down to T5.6.
    This is great. And yes they do look very Contax-ish.

Funny, we've also added a Canon FD 24mm 1.4 to our kit, so we're on same page!

Didn't Cineovision also use these sets as bases for anamorphic lenses?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Yes, Nick, they mostly used Contax as the base for their anamorphics, though some sets (problably ordered by JDC et al) may have used actual cinema lenses. Neither Standard Primes nor Superspeeds have such round bokeh as these Cineovisions. Do you think it’s a new iris or just regular Contax?

The 24mm FD 1.4 L (or the SSC) is wonderful. Great quality and beautiful flares, maybe the backgrounds are a little softer with that lens and the focus falloff is less abrupt than the typical Zeiss, but here it matches well enough IMHO!