Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 403 of 466 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407413453 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 4653
  1. #4021  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo Ferreri View Post
    Ok.
    One last thing:
    I could get the Zeiss 80-200/4 or for a bit more price the Canon 70-200/4 L USM.
    Is there some comparison pics between the two? Or even with the 70-200/2.8... Did anyone try these?
    I'd be curious to see the differences on images.
    For filmmaking, I find all manual glass like the 80-200 far superior, everything else being equal (or close to).
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #4022  
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    86
    Nick,

    First off, much thanks for introducing me to Contax and giving me the confidence to make quality purchasing decisions.

    I just picked up a beautiful 21mm 2.8 from Green Mountain and the 60mm 2.8 AE Macro from KEH. Leitax mounts are on the way. Can't wait to put them on my scarlet w.

    My question: I have the 50mm & 85mm 1.4 Planar ZE's as well. If you were me, would you sell those and get their respective contax versions, or is the difference minimal?

    Sure, I'd love to have a manual aperture ring, so in the long run, I may do it anyway, but i'm just curious if the Ze's match the contax versions, or if the contrast difference is noticeable on these focal lengths. I've read multiple opinions for both sides, so I'm just curious what the 'master' thinks lol.
    VIDEOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR
    RED Scarlet-w #000807
    The Film Boss
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #4023  
    Senior Member Nick Morrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Normandia View Post
    Nick,

    First off, much thanks for introducing me to Contax and giving me the confidence to make quality purchasing decisions.

    I just picked up a beautiful 21mm 2.8 from Green Mountain and the 60mm 2.8 AE Macro from KEH. Leitax mounts are on the way. Can't wait to put them on my scarlet w.

    My question: I have the 50mm & 85mm 1.4 Planar ZE's as well. If you were me, would you sell those and get their respective contax versions, or is the difference minimal?

    Sure, I'd love to have a manual aperture ring, so in the long run, I may do it anyway, but i'm just curious if the Ze's match the contax versions, or if the contrast difference is noticeable on these focal lengths. I've read multiple opinions for both sides, so I'm just curious what the 'master' thinks lol.
    The ZE/ZF and Contax coatings don't match in "feel". Especially if you enjoy the lowcon flares and look of the older Contax primes. The ZE/ZF's are much cleaner, and modern than their older Contax cousins. It's subtle, but definitely noticeable.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4024  
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    The ZE/ZF and Contax coatings don't match in "feel". Especially if you enjoy the lowcon flares and look of the older Contax primes. The ZE/ZF's are much cleaner, and modern than their older Contax cousins. It's subtle, but definitely noticeable.
    That's what I figured (my wallet told me to ask). Thanks for the help!
    VIDEOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR
    RED Scarlet-w #000807
    The Film Boss
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4025  
    Senior Member William Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden & France
    Posts
    290
    Can anybody recommend a technician in Scandinavia, most particularly Sweden, that can declick lenses?
    Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #4026  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    25
    My Nikons are to vintage for my taste. I am going to try to find a couple Contax ones for direct comparison and if I will totally built a new set. And thankfully in Germany you really get those "My Grandpa left us a pile of lenses". I am off searching for bargains! The 50mm 1.7 should be easily attainable for 80€. Thanks people! (BTW I read the first 100-150 pages of this thread, thanks for all the information Nick!)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #4027  
    Senior Member Paul Leeming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,333
    Could someone with a 21mm f2.8 Contax MMJ lens (the only variant as far as I am aware) please accurately measure the diameter around the focus grip with one of the following keys, printable on A4 or US Letter paper, and let me know which Cool-Lux gear I should buy for it?

    A4 - http://www.cool-lux.com/file/LuxGear%20Key%20A4.pdf

    US Letter - http://www.cool-lux.com/file/LuxGear...S%20Letter.pdf

    I'm putting in an order for my newly acquired Contax Zeiss primes and the 21mm is the last lens I have yet to buy, so I'm pre-purchasing the gears for all of them in one hit to save on shipping costs.

    For reference, here's the lenses I have already got in hand, and the appropriate Cool-Lux gear diameter for each, in case anyone else is wanting to buy the same:

    28mm f2 Distagon "Hollywood" AEG - 62-63
    35mm f1.4 Distagon AEG - 68-69
    50mm f1.4 Planar AEJ - 62-63
    85mm f1.4 Planar AEG - 68-69
    100mm f2 Planar AEG - 68-69

    Thanks in advance and thanks Nick for your awesome thread!

    Paul :)
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films

    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

    TEL: +31 6 2095 2590 (Netherlands)
    TEL: +81 80 8439 4635 (Japan)
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

    Epic-X #135 DRAGON (New OLPF)

    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #4028  
    Senior Member Paul Leeming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,333
    Also, I have a www.followfocusgears.com 3d printed gear for the Contax 35mm f1.4 Distagon AEG which is surplus to requirements, as I'm standardising on the Cool-Lux gears, so if anyone is looking for a gear for that particular lens (it actually fits around the 85mm f1.4 Planar AEG as well), I'm happy to sell it for US$30 shipped worldwide which is a saving of US$5 plus whatever postage they charge.

    Cheers,

    Paul :)
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films

    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

    TEL: +31 6 2095 2590 (Netherlands)
    TEL: +81 80 8439 4635 (Japan)
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

    Epic-X #135 DRAGON (New OLPF)

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #4029  
    Senior Member Paul Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Malaysia and Singapore
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leeming View Post
    Could someone with a 21mm f2.8 Contax MMJ lens (the only variant as far as I am aware) please accurately measure the diameter around the focus grip with one of the following keys, printable on A4 or US Letter paper, and let me know which Cool-Lux gear I should buy for it?


    Paul :)
    Hi Paul

    I already went through this exercise for a load of lens gears from HelicopterSean on e-bay
    The Contax 21mm MMJ is a tight 62.82mm. The length of the focus area is 44.62mm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #4030  
    Senior Member Paul Leeming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    Hi Paul

    I already went through this exercise for a load of lens gears from HelicopterSean on e-bay
    The Contax 21mm MMJ is a tight 62.82mm. The length of the focus area is 44.62mm
    Much obliged Paul! :)

    Cheers from Holland,

    Paul 2 :D
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films

    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

    TEL: +31 6 2095 2590 (Netherlands)
    TEL: +81 80 8439 4635 (Japan)
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

    Epic-X #135 DRAGON (New OLPF)

    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts