Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Contax Zeiss Survival Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 405 of 469 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409415455 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,050 of 4688
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Monaghan View Post
    Great feedback guys, much appreciated. How do you both get over the fact that the 18mm doesn't have a filter thread? I like using ND via screw on filters, so is there any viable options out there for a DIY solution? Keep in mind I live far away from the US/Europe so sending the lens to be modded by the people mentioned in this forum is out of the question.
    I use magnatized Xume adapters on all my ND for fast swapping. Perhaps you could semi-permanantly epoxy a Xume adapter to the front of the 18mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Monaghan View Post
    Great feedback guys, much appreciated. How do you both get over the fact that the 18mm doesn't have a filter thread? I like using ND via screw on filters, so is there any viable options out there for a DIY solution? Keep in mind I live far away from the US/Europe so sending the lens to be modded by the people mentioned in this forum is out of the question.
    I bought a copy with the 70/86 filter adaptor.

same. and had an 86-82mm step down ring on it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Another vote for the Contax C/Y 18mm.
    Yes, it's not fast, but does that still matter so much with modern cameras like the Sony A7S you mention?
    I consider it quite sharp WO and it has a very nice way of handling distortion – somehow it doesn't look so 'bulging' when you move around with it like other very wide lenses. With some patience you should still find it for a decent price, I paid 430,- € for mine.

The Eastern Zeiss 20mm is not matching the Contax line very well, they had good optics, but crappy coating. Plus, their QC was very low, you may have to test a lot of samples until you get a good one (they can be good for sure). Prices have risen quite a bit these days.

You see, if you want to be ready for FF, I wholeheartedly suggest the Contax 18mm too. But if you want to go cheap and vintage, there are the 17mm Tokina and Tamron f 3.5 lenses or the 17mm Canon FD f 4.0. Have a look here http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com...e-17mm-lenses/ and here http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/canon-fd-17mm/

While I normally don't like zooms very much and never became a friend of the 11-16mm Tokina, the 18-35mm Sigma is a fantastic lens. With some experience it can be matched to Contax Zeiss, but as you already noted, it's APS-C/S-35 only.
    Regards,

Uli

My Red is called Vertov after a Russian avantgarde filmmaker, a pioneer in modern cinematography, a true revolutionary who later suffered under Stalin's bureaucracy.

Is there a video out there, that compares the contax zeiss lenses with the Leica-R lenses? (I own a set of Sigma ART lenses atm) But I am interested in either the contax or the leica-r's(already bought the summicron f2 It looks good! However I feel F2 might not be fast enough for me).

Hi guys,

About a year later since i started researching vintage lens (really have to thank all of you for the information in this post, amazing!). I can now say i have a nice zeiss contax kit:
    28 2.8 (great for gimbal use)
    35 1.4 (my favourite lens)
    50 1.4 (very good)
    85 1.4 (another favourite)
    135 2.8 (very useful)

All MM and all cinemoded by me, this was part of the fun, getting to know more about the mechanics of the lenses.

I haven’t finished the kit yet, still looking for a 21mm, the 28mm f2, and a macro lens, but i wanted to contribute to this post that has given me so much.

Heres a titles film i made for a festival that happens in Madeira Island, hope you guys like it! Shot on a ursa mini 4.6, prores hq, graded from scratch.

Again, thanks for the amazing info, great to see everyone sharing their love for lenses.

http://vimeo.com/222489022
    Last edited by Nuno Serrão; 06-26-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno Serrão View Post
    Hi guys,

About a year later since i started researching vintage lens (really have to thank all of you for the information in this post, amazing!). I can now say i have a nice zeiss contax kit:
    28 2.8 (great for gimbal use)
    35 1.4 (my favourite lens)
    50 1.4 (very good)
    85 1.4 (another favourite)
    135 2.8 (very useful)

All MM and all cinemoded by me, this was part of the fun, getting to know more about the mechanics of the lenses.

I haven’t finished the kit yet, still looking for a 21mm, the 28mm f2, and a macro lens, but i wanted to contribute to this post that has given me so much.

Heres a titles film i made for a festival that happens in Madeira Island, hope you guys like it! Shot on a ursa mini 4.6, prores hq, graded from scratch.

Again, thanks for the amazing info, great to see everyone sharing their love for lenses.

http://vimeo.com/222489022
    Beautiful work there Nuno!

First of all; love this post and all useful information I'm finding on Reduser regarding Contax Zeiss lenses. But; I have a question regarding a Contax Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 MMJ. The lens seems very 'glowy' when shooting with really bright highlights. Only when adding a lot of contrast and lowering my shadows I can get rid of the 'glow'. The lens doesn't have any signs of fog, fungus or any other damage on the glass. I have added a still in witch you can see the 'glow', I hope. When switching between my 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 I really notice a lot of difference. Is this a common problem to the 50? Or did I just happen to buy a faulty lens...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7eq4y7al5...3-6.4.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Griemink View Post
    First of all; love this post and all useful information I'm finding on Reduser regarding Contax Zeiss lenses. But; I have a question regarding a Contax Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 MMJ. The lens seems very 'glowy' when shooting with really bright highlights. Only when adding a lot of contrast and lowering my shadows I can get rid of the 'glow'. The lens doesn't have any signs of fog, fungus or any other damage on the glass. I have added a still in witch you can see the 'glow', I hope. When switching between my 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 I really notice a lot of difference. Is this a common problem to the 50? Or did I just happen to buy a faulty lens...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7eq4y7al5...3-6.4.jpg?dl=0

That glow seems pretty normal wide open for that lens, yes. Most old lenses of that era do the same. Even older cine lenses.

In fact, the "new" retro Speed Pancro's coming out from Cooke this year have been faithfully made to recreate this look wide open, to a greater extreme. At NAB one of the primes I tested glowed so much wide open I actually did a double take!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Yep, my 50mm AEG glows like mad when it's wide open at f1.4. After 2.8 it calms down a bit.