Thread: 35mm ULTRA PRIME GLOW EFFECT..

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 35mm ULTRA PRIME GLOW EFFECT.. 
    Hi,
    My 35 mm ULTRA PRIME has Glow effect.
    There is No fungus In side the Lens and Anti glare Coating Seen to be fine.
    What case is this?
    Thanks
    Attached Images

Could be a small amount of haze on some elements near the stop.

Does it change when you stop the lens down or open up?

This is a very wild theory but someone who serviced the lens might have put one element with similar radii in backwards.

Are you near any good service centers like Band Pro, Abel Cine, or Duclos ? Or maybe see if Arri will service it ?

Make sure the front element has AR coating on the front surface. Uncoated front element will look give like this. But is could be a number of things. Start with the basics...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I've taken apart several lenses, cheap and expensive, anamorphic and spherical, and the main issues I've found tend to be reversed elements causing distortion and overall softness or complete inability to focus completely if at all. In this case, you seem to have a sharp image but there's veiling glare. My questions would be:

1. Is this your first time using this lens?
    2. If it isn't, when did you notice this effect happening?
    3. Shining a flashlight through the lens, do you see anything abnormal besides usual micro dust?
    4. Have you looked around and seen test shots and footage of the lens in case this is normal for this particular lens in that scenario?
    5. Has the lens been exposed to water, high humidity, or excessive heat?
    6. Have you cleaned or wiped the lens recently? Did you use any cleaning agent? If so, what did you use?

Some lenses have a natural glow to them, like my Nikon 50mm 1.8 E-series vs. my regular Nikon 50mm 1.8 which doesn't glow with bright highlights, but if it's a lens that was clear and sharp but now glows then there is definitely something wrong. It would take a good deal of dust and certain circumstances but sometimes a lens may just need a basic cleaning for whatever reason. I don't know if you would want to go taking apart an Ultra Prime by yourself but check out my Instagram at @zackbirlew and you'll see some examples of lenses I've taken apart to give you an idea of what you may want to look for in terms of haze, fungus, oil, and other problems.