Thread: preparing to shoot in 40 below

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 preparing to shoot in 40 below 
    Hey guys, my friend an I are putting together a shoot where the temperatures will be reaching 40 below. I have never shot in this type of climate and I know they used to have to shoot film for these instances in planet earth. Would shooting Epics even be possible? What are some of the tricks and tips for temp control for something like this? What are the pitfalls to look out for (besides the obvious)?

We would be a crew of three, two cameramen and one field producer/guide. It's a pretty big undertaking, any help you guys could give would be greatly appriciated.

Get several layers and wear your batteries as close to you as possible.

I use Bibs and Heli coats with several layers underneath and stash the batteries as close to my body as I can. As far as cameras thats really your call. You can keep some of the heat in I'd imagine by using a snow cover. Perhaps a neoprene version would help insulate it. I'd imagine you could also allow the fan to run a little higher since i'm guessing the audio isn't a big deal since there is likely alot of wind?

Just a few things i'd try.

Thanks, yeah we were thinking of keeping the batteries under our coats and cableing them out. I'm getting more concerned with the monitors and also the lenses and mounts. We were thinking of hooking up USB warmers, I'm just not sure if parts like the lens and mount wmight crack if they get heat on them.

I have shot in these type of conditions and one of the biggest problems was the EVF went dark when it got cold this was the bomb version 1 not the OLED. so I had to keep it warm with hand warmers and try to keep the camera on as long as its out in the cold. We also kept the camera in a camping cooler with large hand warmers when waiting for setups.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

THey used blow dryers on the girl with the dragon tattoo.
    RED camera owner.

Hey Nicholas,

Here is a previous link with some worthwhile info:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/archive...p/t-88426.html
    Writer/Director
    joedarcyfilms.com
    Red 3166

Great thanks so much everyone!

You can totally do it. Just need to know how stuff works in extreme cold, mainly batteries, glass, screens and condensation. Epic generates a beautiful amount of heat that can keep er runnin' in bitter cold. Just keep her running non stop starting a minute or two before going out. Double up on batteries if you can. At that end of the scale you'll need to have form fitting covers for the LCDs and might need to use chemical warmers if you get solarization and weirdness. Not sure what you'll encounter cause I haven't done that but at -40F you might need to keep all batteries against your body and covered with insulation (in your jacket) cause you don't want them lasting two seconds each. Glass changes temperature in layers, so sudden exposure to drastically different temperatures can crack your Master Prime front element to pieces. Not good. Keep them in their case till the case gets cold and wait a few minutes before bringing them out. Also keep in mind that cold objects condense moisture from the air so if you run indoors you might have to do the same with the case, or better yet small plastic bags and allow them to acclimate before bringing them out. Some companies make very decent form fitting weather bags, I'd love to see RED make their own, with flaps that opened up to fully utilize the camera. And with a few strategic pockets for chem packets. Cammo style, Oakley stylee'.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

AND-

have a plastic bag big enough to load rig into BEFORE you go BACK INSIDE otherwise it will instantly condense H20 over every surface, which won't prob hurt the camera (tho going back out again means this will ice up) but plays havoc with glass surfaces being unusable until temp stabilizes. Still can't use the rig in its bag but at least you are not toweling it down once removed inside - and it allows you to go back out again without above mentioned icing due to condensation.

AND-

bear in mind any external cables will become uber-brittle. Have spares!!

AND-
    I manually set fan to 25% during outdoor use at these temps. May as well minimize amount of sub-z air pumping into the camera.

Stu Aull
    SX 199
    Alaska

Here is a interesting article that you may find helpful.

http://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/free...tom-guilmette/