Thread: REDRAY available!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assuming third party NLEs get to use the plugin, will we get that through RED or through the third party vendors, such as Adobe? I'm really Adobe dependent and hope there will be a way to encode to .RED as soon as possible. Nothing against Redcine X Pro... I'm just more comfortable using Adobe.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I'd like a direct answer to that as well. And I'm hoping the RRencode plugin can be interfaced through Redline so we can implement on a render farm without having to manually task it all out.
    I'd also like to know if RedLine will be the ongoing standard for batch/macro/script functions for things like render farms, or, will RRencode have resident tools for managing things like distributing and scaling processing chores to take best advantage of the available hardware? Maybe some of you coder folk already have it dialed in, but I would love an option to start uploading a piece prior to completion of the rendering to .RED format. I expect early iterations of the encoder to be pretty slow on commodity hardware which is a good match to the relatively slow upload rates common on US telecom systems where download speeds are given priority.

Its probably a dream but how great would it be to have your upload complete just a few minutes after a long encoding pass finished? Growl-licious!

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Assuming third party NLEs get to use the plugin, will we get that through RED or through the third party vendors, such as Adobe? I'm really Adobe dependent and hope there will be a way to encode to .RED as soon as possible. Nothing against Redcine X Pro... I'm just more comfortable using Adobe.

+++1
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    I would assume that AME, Compressor, et al plus the inboard encoding engines on major NLEs will offer .RED as a format option relatively soon. IMO RED tends to limit their newest tech to their curated ecosystem (like RCX-Pro) until they feel like they can safely release an SDK. Perhaps they have other issues as well, but I always thought it made sense to avoid putting out an SDK that 3rd parties were going to spend engineering resources to support before it was fully cooked.

The other thing I keep dreaming of is RED getting in bed with AMD or nVidia to take advantage of GPGPU architecture to obsolete the RedRocket card. If that's just not feasible, then please god spin up some fire breathing ASICs and make a PCIe 3.0 scorcher that eats R3Ds for breakfast and spits out .RED files in its sleep.

Cheers - #19

Senior Member Nick Pasquariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    To encode on several machines in overlapping time frames on the same network will I need multiple licenses? I couldn't find that particular detail readily - and I have actually read just about every post in th comments thread...

Cheers - #19
    Every multi-system capable renderer I've ever encountered requires a license per machine soooooo.....

That being said, I'm poor as hell and $20 is piss-away money. If I had been standing next to Jarred when the announcement was made, I would immediately taken out my wallet and giggled while handing him a crisp Jackson, the same way Token kept giving dollar bills to Tyler Perry on that one South Park episode.
    Icarus Rex Productions
    Scarlet #1798 "Ariadne"
    Local 600 DIT