Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 17-50 RPZ gone from RED STORE

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 17-50 RPZ gone from RED STORE 
    This might be an old news, but I have noticed only just now...
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com

It's surprising how most of Red's lenses are slowly disappearing from the store, one by one. Half of the primes are gone too. They seem to have stopped production for some time now.

My guess would be that they are working on new lenses, electronic lenses like they announced a few years ago. They will probably work with the future Redmote Pro which won't need any external motor to drive them. However that would also mean a new Red specific mount, which is not so good, compared to the universal PL mount (or Canon mount).

Question is "when" ? Maybe there will be some lens related annoucements at NAB.
    Shot in Scotland on Epic X : http://vimeo.com/40090627

I love the RED lenses. I was the first to publicly test the RPPs and reported here on the forum. I was able to compare them on the lens projector at RED HQ's against ARRI. And I've bought one of the first 17-50 RPZs...
    But in the absence of any further solid info and the Houdini action in the lens section of the RED store - I have made a permanent switch to Canon glass...
    The new C-series primes and the compact zooms are amazing. I am not a fan of the two larger zooms - particularly because they do not hold the aperture through the zoom range and the super-high cost, but the two compact zooms are god-sends. Canon have finally realized what location (ab)use(tm) means in the cinema industry - the butter-smooth yet solid and precise mechanics and the new manual aperture blades are finally on the same level as the amazing optical qualities...
    I had a super high hopes for the RED lenses that were talked about few years back - especially given the quality of the RPPs and RPZs. But I could not wait any longer and had to pull the plug...
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com

Yup, it's amazing this lens is actually increasing in value too.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Time to start investing in Full Frame glass slowly. Writing is on the wall now. Cp.2 range of lesnses is just amazing. 15mm to 135mm now. Shame about 17-50red. Great Bang for $$$$$.

In my opinion RED stoped producing lenses at all.

current lenses probably, i think that since they are coming out with a larger sensor, it would make better business sense for them to sell out the glass they have instead of making more, and start finding production options that will give better coverage over their sensor. kind of a silly to make glass to go with your camera that won't even cover the entire sensor area properly.

and i remember a brief thread about red anamorphics in the works too. they got a lot going on under the hood, and their glass sold quite well. I'm sure there will be more options down the line.
    Local 600 IATSE Digital Imaging Technician
    Phantom Certified Technician
    Da Vinci Resolve Colorist
    Scratch Lab Operator

https://vimeo.com/41679679

Any news about the RED Anamorphic lenses?
    Jaime Vallés

AJV Media
    Video, photography & graphic design
    www.ajvmedia.com

in my opinion, you still need to inform people who have invested or will invest in your products... if they are discontinuing the lenses or not
    - what if you bought half a set thinking it was just a temporary "out of stock" for the rest?

kindda like Apple releasing fcpx and NOT making it compatible with FCP7 projects.... it turns into a trust thing.
    Sidney Lexy Plaut
    filmmaker.
    Epic Package. Complete set of rehoused Cooke s2&3 series 2000...18,25,32,40,50,75,100,152,203
    Rehoused Kowa anamorphic 40,50,75,100
    Zeiss "Raging Bull" b-speeds 18,25,35,50,85mm, Zeiss Jena 120,180,300mm
    Cineovision high speed Anamorphics - 25,35,50,85mm,
    and a set TLS rehoused Cooke s2/3 on the way.
    www.vimeopro.com/sidneydp/sidneydp

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney L. Plaut View Post
    in my opinion, you still need to inform people who have invested or will invest in your products... if they are discontinuing the lenses or not
    - what if you bought half a set thinking it was just a temporary "out of stock" for the rest?

kinda like Apple releasing fcpx and NOT making it compatible with FCP7 projects.... it turns into a trust thing.
    you are right.. sorry. On the acquisition side, we currently are focusing on cameras.

When we started making lenses there wasn't many options out there, You could count companies making cinema lens on one hand. We came in and shook things up a bit with some great product. Now there are what seems to be 100s of companies offering everything from cheap to spectacular.. it is not a game you need us to be in right now.

We still have a few spectacular things brewing on the back burner that we wont talk about till they are ready, but for right now you guys shouldn't be holding your breath for a new set of RPPs anytime soon.