Thread: Extracting Audio Files

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've made a little progress. I've found that REDCINE (1.0 Beta) will render the shot to a QuickTime movie, and now I can see the video. However, the new MOV file doesn't have an audio track.

I suppose that once I figure out how to get an audio track on the rendered MOV file, I can extract the audio with QuickTime Pro's Export function.

Now to figure out how to get an audio track on that MOV file.

(REDCINE for Windows XP Beta is pretty buggy in that screen re-draws don't always happen, and the control buttons and data displays disappear. You end up moving the cursor around and clicking the mouse at the left side of the screen, hoping to land on one of the four mode buttons (Project, Shot, Color, Output). If you do, then most of the screen re-draws.)
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

REDCINE doesnt support audio yet so that path is currently a no go.
    Did you try and use ctrl+j in your quicktime player on one of the proxi quicktime files to inspect the channels "embedded" in them?
    Facebook Skype: aholck

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Holck View Post
    REDCINE doesnt support audio yet so that path is currently a no go.
    Did you try and use ctrl+j in your quicktime player on one of the proxi quicktime files to inspect the channels "embedded" in them?
    Thanks for the help, Anders.

Ctl-J shows that the proxi QT file has four tracks of 48 KHz (yes!), and I can assign the four tracks into playback channels (e.g., L, R, center...).

When I play back the proxi file, as I change the playback channel assigments, I can hear the change in the stereo playback image. All four channels are being mixed somewhere into the two fronts -- I'm not getting any sound in the side and rear channels, just the front two.

Also, QT Pro only allows export to mono or stereo WAV files, not multi-channel WAV_Extended format files. So I'll have to write the files either individually or in pairs.

So here's a possible solution:

Use QT Pro to "Export" the "Sound to WAV". Select which audio tracks are in the two front channels. First write a stereo file with tracks 1 and 2 in them with tracks 3 and 4 set to "unused", and then do it again for tracks 3 and 4 with tracks 1 and 2 set to "unused".

Sure enough -- I just tried it and it works!

I've just been able to decode the first ambisonic recording made with a RED camera and a TetraMic. I'll upload it to our Web site and post a link to it on the TetraMic thread.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

What I ment was that you could just use the extract function of the properties window: Select one track and click the extract button in the upper left of the window, then export to a mono wav. Then repeat for each track. That way you dont need to mess with the channel mixing, and you get the discreet mono files that you want

What I ment was that you could just use the extract function of the properties window: Select one track and click the extract button in the upper left of the window, then export to a mono wav. Then repeat for each track. That way you dont need to mess with the channel mixing, and you get the discreet mono files that you want
    I don't see how to select only one track of the four without using the track assignments to set three of them to "unused". If I have to do that, I may as well write two stereo files instead of four mono files.

Thanks much for your help!
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

If the Quicktime has a single track with four channels, you are correct that you need to assign the channels.

If it has four tracks each with a single channel, you can use the extract feature to get them out like so: http://www.holckowen.com/extract.mov

I havent seen a multichannel RED proxi myself so I dont know how the channels are assigned.

Nice demo by the way :-)

If the Quicktime has a single track with four channels, you are correct that you need to assign the channels.
    RED seems to store its audio as a single sound track with four channels.

Nice demo by the way :-)
    Thanks!
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Len,

Very happy to hear you were able to extract the 4 channels from the Red Quicktime - promising combination, Red and Ambisonics! Hope to be following in your footsteps shortly. Thank you for pitching-in to make this work Anders.

Anders,

This is awesome.

Now all we need is a script that will look at each QT to the batch extracting and name the file with the original r3d files. Mabe an applescript can be written to do this?

This is the kind of functionality I was alluding to with the other thread.

Thanks for your work. It's really great that you have been so generous here so often.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake