Thread: Extracting Audio Files

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Extracting Audio Files 
    Using Build 14, we recorded a 54.14 second clip with four tracks of audio. I want to export those four different audio tracks from the clip to four mono WAV files.

These are the filenames of the five files in the clip directory:

A001_C004_080210_001.R3D
    A001_C004_080210_F.mov
    A001_C004_080210_H.mov
    A001_C004_080210_M.mov
    A001_C004_080210_P.mov

The R3D file is 1.46 GB long, so I guess that's where the entire clip (video and audio) is stored. Each of the four MOV files are only 19 KB long so it's clear that they don't contain the 24-bit/48 KS/s audio data.

When I play the first MOV file in QuickTime Pro 7.3, I hear an audio track but don't see any video. I exported that audio track to a 32-bit/48 KS/s mono WAV format file.

I did the same for the other three audio tracks.

When I compare the four resulting WAV files in an audio workstation application, they are exactly bit-for-bit identical. They are not the four different tracks that we recorded, but rather four identical tracks.

What am I doing wrong?

How do I export the four individual audio tracks?
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

- Video and audio is stored in the .R3D file only.
    - All the quicktime files reference the data inside the .R3D file.
    - The quicktimes are identical but each one triggers a different video decode quality inside the RED quicktime codec.
    - the_F file doesnt show the video as this quality trigger is not implemented yet in the codec. 16:9 4k doesnt work yet either.
    Facebook Skype: aholck

Possibly you need FCP to export more than one audio track? I'm guessing the quicktime player by itself does not recognize or extract four separate audio channels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Len M. View Post

How do I export the four individual audio tracks?
    I think the Open Source program Audacity may be able to read Quicktime files. I am not fully sure about it. Still, Audacity is a wonderful free program to have for audio manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeale View Post
    Possibly you need FCP to export more than one audio track? I'm guessing the quicktime player by itself does not recognize or extract four separate audio channels.
    Quicktime can contain 24 audio tracks.
    Steve Sherrick

Quote Originally Posted by Joofa View Post
    I think the Open Source program Audacity may be able to read Quicktime files. I am not fully sure about it.
    Audacity can read AIFF and WAV files, but not MOV files.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Holck View Post
    - Video and audio is stored in the .R3D file only.
    - All the quicktime files reference the data inside the .R3D file.
    - The quicktimes are identical but each one triggers a different video decode quality inside the RED quicktime codec.
    - the_F file doesnt show the video as this quality trigger is not implemented yet in the codec. 16:9 4k doesnt work yet either.
    Thanks for this information.

Using QT 7.3.1 on a Windows XP PC, video does not display for any of the four MOV files. When loading the _H, _M and _P files, QT says that a component may be missing and directs me to a QT Web page with a list of plug-ins, but it's not clear which plug-in is required.

In any case, I still don't understand how to extract the four audio tracks. Is Final Cut Pro necessary? Do I need to use RED ALERT! or REDCINE?

I've downloaded the RED QuickTime plugin, but it's not clear how to install it (or even if it can be installed) for QuickTime for Windows.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Banned
    Audacity can read AIFF and WAV files, but not MOV files.
    Okay, then please use the free program MPEG Stream Clip. Please get the version 1.9 (which I think is currently the latest). MPEG Stream Clip is a very powerful program, not just for audio extraction, but for video extraction, transcoding etc., and in many cases makes the pro version of Quicktime unnecessary, though it is based off Quicktime libraries supplied by Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Joofa View Post
    Okay, then please use the free program MPEG Stream Clip. Please get the version 1.9 (which I think is currently the latest).
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Playback using MPEG Streamclip is garbled; it only allows extraction of a mono or stereo audio file; and it doesn't export to WAV format, only AIFF and a few compressed formats.

It doesn't play back the video at all.

It appears that this application won't do the job.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Thanks for this information.
    I've downloaded the RED QuickTime plugin, but it's not clear how to install it (or even if it can be installed) for QuickTime for Windows.
    The quicktime codec is currently Mac OS X only so you cant see the video on Windows.

In quicktime pro you should be able to press Ctrl+J, select the sound tracks one by one and use the "extract" button to get them out then use export to get them into Aiff/wave format.
    Havent seen an actual multitrack file yet, but they might be configured as two stereo tracks in the quicktime.
    Facebook Skype: aholck