Thread: LIST of Lens Sets that cover 6k

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Will the RPP 300mm cover the new 6K sensor?

Senior Member Christopher Barrett's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but another big consideration with smaller photo sites coming on the Dragon sensor is the actual resolving power of lens sets. On the stills side, when I switched over from 4x5 film to 645 digital, my old View Camera Lenses couldn't resolve to the resolution of the sensor. I ended up replacing all my glass with new "digital" lenses.

While all of the old 35mm stills glass will easily cover Dragon, I seriously doubt they'll take full advantage of the resolution available. I actually doubt that anything but the Leica Cine glass will match the resolution of 6k. But then... I'm not sure you'd even want all the sharpness that Dragon will yield. Hell, I'm generally throwing ProMist even on my Panchos nowadays so the imagery maintains an organic esthetic... but just be aware... the target is always on the move.

CB

I DP'd the hell out of that shit.
    The Website

The RPP has no problems covering 5k widescreen, as I have shot many tests with the lens lately.

Generally what I am hearing is if the lens can cover 5k it will probably be okay with 6k and the smaller "photosites?" Would love any corrects from those more knowledgeable here. Are the pixels actually going to be smaller? A pixel is a pixel, no?

Quote Originally Posted by tobyheslop View Post
    Will the RPP 300mm cover the new 6K sensor?
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

There are actually no pixels on sensors. A pixel is sort of a non-tangible unit of measure. And you can have an infinite variety of pixels per inch. Think about it this way. An epic is what 14 Mega Pixels? There are also 4/3 chips that are 14 Mega Pixels. Or look at it this way... Epic and Alexa have about the same sized sensors but NOT the same resolution. The Epic has a 5.4micron pixel pitch... the size of it's "pixels" Dragon was initially stated to have a 5 micron pixel pitch which requires a greater line pair resolution from the lens to project adequate detail onto the sensor.

A smaller pixel pitch means the sensor may now actually out-resolve the lenses... I honestly do not know if this will be the case but food for thought.
    Last edited by Christopher Barrett; 12-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.

The Website

I've noticed on some cinema glass, that the coverage depends a lot on if i shoot at 5k full sensor vs 5k wide screen(WS). Basically 5k WS rarely has any problems while 5k full sensor does(this has to do with the "box" being cut on the edges where the coverage issues are). So would be nice to know what cinema lenses have no problems at AR 2.35/5k WS. For example RPP 18mm does great at 5K ws, but has issues at full 5k (i love my 18mm RPP, it's a way under rated lens ... and awesome if you shooting WS).

I don't even know what that means... but it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    A smaller pixel pitch means the sensor may now actually out-resolve the lenses... I honestly do not know if this will be the case but food for thought.
    Will Keir

"Why I choose film?

Jeez guys, seriously?
    Sony NX7 has 24 mpix and S35 sensor smaller than Dragon.
    Sony stock emount lenses work fine with it. Still lenses have outresolved motion cameras for a while now...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Humm... uhm...

....?

Quote Originally Posted by OptiTek View Post
    Jeez guys, seriously?
    Sony NX7 has 24 mpix and S35 sensor smaller than Dragon.
    Sony stock emount lenses work fine with it. Still lenses have outresolved motion cameras for a while now...
    Will Keir

"Why I choose film?

Jacek knows glass so there ya go... :)

The Website

I can't imagine the Dragon sensor out resolving still glass...perhaps at some point Cinema glass since they don't change quite as often as still glass but still glass definitely goes through more iterations then cinema glass, at least that's what I've seen, Leica glass for sure will always be ahead of the sensors that they are placed with, especially the 50mm APO but that's just Leica as an example, I would expect the same from Canon and the rest -
    When EPIC hits MF it'll be a real test I'm sure on glass in general but who knows, maybe by then even the Leica Summilux-Cs might be two steps ahead and already be 24K ready!

Though agree with Jacek, still lenses will always be ahead of the sensor...be crazy to put out a sensor that out resolves your own line of glass I would think

But hey, what do i know :)