Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New to the RED ONE? Ask here.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nice Martin.

I'm going to oddly quote myself here, but here's the record times on a RedMag 64GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I didn't include the R1 record times in the RQRG as the guide is focused on the DSMC models (Epic and Scarlet), but this is what you're looking for:

RedMag 64GB
    RedCode 8:1 9:1 10:1 11:1 12:1
    4.5K 30 33 37 41 44

I may construct a Red One Quick Guide that will be similar to the Epic/Scarlet one I created. (That's if you guys want it)

In the meantime, the "relative crop factor" from FF35 of 4.5K is approximately 1.54x.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Nice Martin.

I'm going to oddly quote myself here, but here's the record times on a RedMag 64GB.

I may construct a Red One Quick Guide that will be similar to the Epic/Scarlet one I created. (That's if you guys want it)

In the meantime, the "relative crop factor" from FF35 of 4.5K is approximately 1.54x.
    Thanks Martin and Phil! Yeah Phil, a quick guide would be great! As far as the crop factor goes, is that roughly the same as the 7D? I have one lying around so if they're comparable I might use it for a light and easy way of framing up the next shot.

Martin, you've got me a bit worried when you say while you can mount the R1 to a tripod, it's hard to balance it without some other support. I'll just be using a fairly basic setup - R1 with Nikon primes, perhaps Tokina 11-16 as my heaviest lens, small HD monitor and AC adapter, will I run into trouble with that setup and if so, what would be the cheapest way of balancing it.

THANKS

That should probably work our o.k., Matt.

Hi, This is a great Thread.

Anyway I had to rush a Loan and got enough to order -

RED MX
    Media pack
    Ac power
    48gb Card.

I Just ordered a 2 channel charger with 2 130w V mount lithium batteries. Then it hit me that I don't have a rig or battery belt clip so I don't think I have a way to use the batteries?? any cheap alternatives or is the Battery belt clip the best bet?

Also looking at some monitors (again for cheap as it is just to get me started) and seen some that say (max) supported resolution is 1920 x 1440. They will still work with the RED ONE won't they once I have HDMI connections? Again going to get a better monitor over the coming months, just need one to let me see image, menu's and exposure etc?

Thanks

James

There are a number of third party suppliers that make V-lock mounts specifically for the R1, besides RED's own offerings. You need the V-lock mount itself, then some way of connecting the mount to the camera (usually either via 19mm/15mm rails, or directly onto the camera body). Personally I am not a fan of a battery belt, as it impedes your movability, and at some point you might walk away from the camera, forgetting that it is still plugged in.

As to monitoring, AFAIK the R1 has a standard HD output, not sure if 720 or 1080. But it is most likely in the manual. I remember plugging my R1 into a variety of large LCDs via HDMI, and not all monitors would work. Hopefully someone else can give you a better, more concrete answer than mine.

The HD-SDI/HDMI of the R1 mainly outputs 720p, it can be set in the menus to output 1080 but will only do so on playback, it will remain 720p during record.

If the camera doesn't detect an actual RED evf/lcd, the the menu UI will default to the video preview output (HD-SDI/HDMI).

I'd suggest a more standard video monitor, one that has a native resolution of 720p for monitoring. I and many others use smallHD brand, but there are many to choose from.

From personal experience though, I don't know of any EVFs that match the RED quality.

Since you're new to the camera, I'd highly suggest reading through the manual. Most questions like this are answered within the manual. (plus you'll learn things you never thought of asking)

:)

Since the base production pack seems to now be out of stock, does anyone have any ideas for the best way to mount the Red One Quick Plate? I'm after the simplest, most cost effective method to get it on the back of the camera.

A friend of mine is an inch away from clicking that buy button, but is hesitant due to the complexities of setting up rails that will get this thing on the camera

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Thanks, Martin, this is great. One quick note, the old RED ONE Base Production Pack is not longer available. Most people have switched the Quick Release Platform system with even the RED ONE these days...

* QRP (Dovetail) with short or long dovetail
    * QRP (Bolt on)*

In conjunction with:

* RED ONE Riser Pack
    * RED ONE Low-Pro Plate

For a top handle, they are using this to take advantage of our SWAT rail system.

BC

FYI, Bomb Squad is still sending the link out for the R1 Base Production Pack, as it was linked in the email I received when I ordered the R1.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back with that great information, I had a read of the RED ONE Pdf and found it very helpful. One thing i'm still not sure on and can't seem to find much about is how to directly put the V mount onto the camera without rails? Also I seen cheap v mount plates on ebay that say they use D-plug? From reading the Manural am I correct in saying any 6 pin plug will work to power battery from camera?

Thanks

James

How long would the R1 run on one RED brick?