Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New to the RED ONE? Ask here.

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Just wanted to voice that this thread was fantastic, finally being able to buy a red one with all proper attachments this was huge for me to be able to have most if not all my remaining questions answered.
    Scarlet-W #401 "401(k)" | Reducated January 2016

Greetings, new to this whole cinema medium, but with lots of experience in photography (Nikons)
    My questions are as follows: Besides Being Lighter, having shorter boot time, having a "smart" mount and having more accessories more compatible with Epic, what advantages does a Scarlet MX pose over an R1MX?
    I would like to mount a minimally configured Red (Scarlet or One) to an Unmanned Aerial System (UAS/Drone) for aerial cinematography. as mentioned earlier my experience is with Nikon cameras, so all of my Glass is Nikon Full Frame. right now Scarlets are out of my price range. Fortunately I won't even be in a position to buy till January, will Scarlets come down in price much between now and then? Budget is 7K. what would you do? this is mostly a hobby with the possibility of occasional professional work (concerts, and fights) weight isn't a big deal to me (as long as it's under 18 or 20 Lbs) I already have a UAS that will carry a minimally configured Red One MX. if there is anything i have left out please feel free to ask, thank you in advance!

hey there fellas,

new to the red One MX... that said, i know theres so many things and issues brought up about the weight ergonomics and aethsteics of the camera, but I'm more interested in ANY issues with performance. how does this camera *with the news firmware available* act up. is it buggy, smooth, in between? is it really only suitable for indoors and onset with lots of lighting? My prod. company does sketch work in natural light... I've been working with a black magic pocket so i understand limitations to a camera. thank you !!

Quote Originally Posted by daniel dayani View Post
    hey there fellas,

new to the red One MX... that said, i know theres so many things and issues brought up about the weight ergonomics and aethsteics of the camera, but I'm more interested in ANY issues with performance. how does this camera *with the news firmware available* act up. is it buggy, smooth, in between? is it really only suitable for indoors and onset with lots of lighting? My prod. company does sketch work in natural light... I've been working with a black magic pocket so i understand limitations to a camera. thank you !!
    Hi Daniel,

Personally, I think the weight issue on the R1MX is vastly exaggerated, as once you load up the camera with all your extras, the difference in weight won't be much compared to a DSMC or DSMC2 system... but let's not beat that horse any further and to answer your question -

- the stories of Red One bugginess are pretty much ancient history related to the early builds. The new(est) firware version including v32 are very reliable. My experience has been that maybe once in 50 hours of camera time you might run into some kind of issue that requires a reboot - not bad IMO.

- the camera's "base" sensitivity is generally accepted to be ISO 800. Personally, I find this to be a bit optimistic, as at least the Red 5.6" LCD seems to show things as brighter and less noisy than they really are. So I often rate the camera at ISO 640 or 500 to force a bit more light on the sensor and get less noise in the shadows. Then again, it depends on the shooting scenario - I shoot a lot of performance captures indoors in low-ish tungsten light so I tend to have more issues with under- than overexposure. If you shoot in bright outdoor conditions, you might be more concerned with highlights blowing out, so might even opt to expose for a higher ISO than 800. But all this is in the realm of hifi details that you can explore later - if you never changed the ISO from 800 you certainly wouldn't go far wrong.

- related to the above is the fact that the blue channel of the sensor data will be the noisiest, so if you are shooting tungsten balance in lowish light the image can get noisy as you will need to add more blue to the signal in post to neutralize the color balance. So the "native" color temperature of the camera is daylight, but if you have a decent exposure with enough light there's absolutely nothing wrong with tungsten either.

- the raw capture will give you a lot of latitude to push and pull material if the exposure is a bit off, if it's well exposed you might even get away with 2 to 3 stops' worth of tweaking in post. But this assumes you have a properly exposed image to start with. Raw is not magic so if there is not enough light on the sensor to begin with, it can't work miracles for you. If you shoot mostly natural light, you should have no problem with getting a beautiful exposure.

- as a detail, the high-speed 2K / 3K framerates will look quite different from the full-frame normal speed modes (a lot softer and grainier - especially 2K at 100+fps). It can be a beautiful look but might not match up that well with 4K normal-speed shots. But as long as you don't expect it to look like shots from a Phantom Flex 4K you can get some cool results at the higher 2K/3K speeds.

- and one more comment as you mention coming from a BMPCC - the important thing to realize about the R1(MX) is that it's a cinema camera designed to work in a full production infrastructure, operated by a crew of 2 to 4 people. Hence, many of the "basic" features required for run-and-gun shooting are not there (basically auto everything). You can certainly operate the R1MX solo no problem but it's good to keep in mind the general use it's designed for is a bit different.

But all in all, this is a great camera for eliminating any remaining excuses from your work - if the result isn't great, it's definitely not the camera. The camera still kicks a lot of ass so make sure your filmmaking does too. Have fun!
    Thomas Freundlich
    filmmaker :: choreographer ::
    CEO & creative lead, Lumikinos Production
    www.lumikinosproduction.com :: showreel
    Red One MX # 10139 & 10229

thank you Thomas, what a badass response. excited to shoot with it!