Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: FCP X not updating RMD from RED CINE-X

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 FCP X not updating RMD from RED CINE-X 
    I posted this in the recon FCP X update thread, but no response. I am having an issue of FCP X not updating the saved changes to the RMD file in CINE-X. Is anyone else having this issue? And what import settings are people using for FCP X? Should I just have it import the R3D file as optimized?

The steps I have done are

1. Open R3D in CINE-X
    2. Select and save RMD of all clips in CINE-X that will be imported in FCP X
    3. Import clips in FCP X
    4. Adjust clip color/settings in CINE-X
    5. Save RMD in CINE-X
    6. Go back to FCP X... and nothing changed.

I was working on another project where I had 'optimized media' selected for the import option in FCP X and seem to have better luck in the RMD being updated, but I had to fiddle around the 'Modify RED RAW Settings' in FCP X to make it update, and it didn't work all the time.

But it seems to me, working with the R3D natively in FCP, and not creating optimized or proxy media will be the best route for FCP X to recognize the updates to the RMD, but this is not the case. Am I doing something wrong or missed a step?

There is an excellent instructional video which addresses this - and why what you are doing won't work.

I think this is the one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffvuu...layer_embedded

The issue is the order in whcih you do the work and where you create the RMD files so that both programs share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    There is an excellent instructional video which addresses this - and why what you are doing won't work.

I think this is the one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffvuu...layer_embedded

The issue is the order in whcih you do the work and where you create the RMD files so that both programs share them.
    I watched that video before, but still having the same issue. What import setting do you use for R3D footage into FCP X? He skips that topic...

I don't believe FCP X reads the RMD. You set the clip metadata right inside FCP X's inspector from the native .r3d file, not in RCXP. You can highlight a group of clips in the event browser and set all to the same values using the HUD panel.

- Oliver
    OliverPeters.com
    digitalfilms.wordpress.com

That is incorrect, FCP should be reading up updating the RMD from Cine-x, that is what the video above illustrated. And is what I am having problems with. I want to have more control over the color controls than what is available in the setting plug-in inside FCP X.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
    That is incorrect, FCP should be reading up updating the RMD from Cine-x, that is what the video above illustrated. And is what I am having problems with. I want to have more control over the color controls than what is available in the setting plug-in inside FCP X.
    You are correct. I misspoke.

- Oliver
    OliverPeters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Peters View Post
    You are correct. I misspoke.

- Oliver
    ...But I appreciate the help Oliver. I guess my basic question is what import setting are people using for R3D into FCP X. Native, optimized and/or Proxy? What works best for making FCP update from the RMD?

...But I appreciate the help Oliver. I guess my basic question is what import setting are people using for R3D into FCP X. Native, optimized and/or Proxy? What works best for making FCP update from the RMD?
    I've only done testing with RED in X so far, but I have found that if you are staying in a 4K timeline, using optimized media is extremely taxing. Remember that with RED, optimized means 4K ProRes4444 files at full debayer. You are best off working with proxy for the basic editing and then switch to native in your preferences for finishing and output.

One other thing about FCP X, which may be your issue depending on settings, is that when you swap out or update media (always a bit tricky with X), the thumbnails are not automatically updated. You might check to see if that's your issue. I noticed this on a test using image sequence files from the BMCC. The image was only updated (after I'd changed color externally) while I was playing the file or skimming through it. The event's filmstrip view was the old color, unless I manually deleted the thumbnail media in the Finder.

- Oliver
    OliverPeters.com

I'm sure you are missing something. I am not having a problem. In fact, not only are my RAW settings made in RCX Pro 16 represented in FCPX and vice versa, even quick look previews in the finder reflect the changes. Are you sure that you don't have more than one copy of the media on your drive? Did you copy the media into FCPX when you imported it?

I posted this in the recon FCP X update thread, but no response. I am having an issue of FCP X not updating the saved changes to the RMD file in CINE-X. Is anyone else having this issue? And what import settings are people using for FCP X? Should I just have it import the R3D file as optimized?

The steps I have done are

1. Open R3D in CINE-X
    2. Select and save RMD of all clips in CINE-X that will be imported in FCP X
    3. Import clips in FCP X
    4. Adjust clip color/settings in CINE-X
    5. Save RMD in CINE-X
    6. Go back to FCP X... and nothing changed.

I was working on another project where I had 'optimized media' selected for the import option in FCP X and seem to have better luck in the RMD being updated, but I had to fiddle around the 'Modify RED RAW Settings' in FCP X to make it update, and it didn't work all the time.

But it seems to me, working with the R3D natively in FCP, and not creating optimized or proxy media will be the best route for FCP X to recognize the updates to the RMD, but this is not the case. Am I doing something wrong or missed a step?

After much trial and error, I think I found out what is causing the problem, ...the program Real Player of all things. The .RMD extension that is associated with my R3D files in the finder was being referenced to Real Player, so I think that caused FCP to not load it. I deleted Real Player app from my system and all is working as it should. I also learned that if you create 'Optimized Media' with the R3D you have to reset that media by clicking on 'Modify RED RAW Settings' to have changes to the RMD load from CINE-X to FCP X.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Crawley View Post
    Did you copy the media into FCPX when you imported it?
    No I don't select the option to copy files into the media events folder if that is what you are referring to, do you?