Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: FCP X not updating RMD from RED CINE-X

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
    After much trial and error, I think I found out what is causing the problem, ...the program Real Player of all things. The .RMD extension that is associated with my R3D files in the finder was being referenced to Real Player, so I think that caused FCP to not load it. I deleted Real Player app from my system and all is working as it should. I also learned that if you create 'Optimized Media' with the R3D you have to reset that media by clicking on 'Modify RED RAW Settings' to have changes to the RMD load from CINE-X to FCP X.

No I don't select the option to copy files into the media events folder if that is what you are referring to, do you?
    Damned Real Player! I haven't let that shit on my machines since 1997. ;-)

I am surprised to hear your optimized media report. I would expect FCPX to auto detect that the RMD was changed and alert you in the info pane that the optimized media should be re-rendered. Maybe that is expecting too much or maybe that too is related to the fact that RealPlayer waylaid your files.

I have never imported media into FCPX via copy for a plethora of reasons. I was just suggesting it as one of the most common reasons for a problem like the one you were having. I'm glad to hear that you found the culprit quickly and could right the situation without too much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Crawley View Post
    Damned Real Player! I haven't let that shit on my machines since 1997. ;-). .

Ha! and I haven't used it since 1997 either. Who does anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Crawley View Post
    I am surprised to hear your optimized media report. I would expect FCPX to auto detect that the RMD was changed and alert you in the info pane that the optimized media should be re-rendered. Maybe that is expecting too much or maybe that too is related to the fact that RealPlayer waylaid your.
    Well it did ask me, but I think I turned that option off.

Thanks for everyone's help. Getting RED Cine-X RMD updates to work in FCP X was the determing factor in deciding to stick with learning and using FCP X, I really like it so far, besides some of these quirks.

Trying to import a batch of clips in fcpx. Flipped clips in redcine (shot upside down, steadycam "quick" low mode). Also trimmed with new ins e outs. And modified white balance/tint.
    FCPX project sees correctly new white values and corrected orientaton, but does not want to show me new in's and out's. Current redcine (37).
    Is this a bug?
    Thanks

Might be better to set your ins and outs in FCP X and take advantage of keywords and metadata as well. I don't think the ins and outs will come over and RCX isn't the greatest with XML.

maybe try setting one lights in RCX and use FCP for the trimming. Which you can do prior to import.

David
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

Thanks David.
    I badly explained myself.

I shot and gave a copy of the material to the editor (that edit in Première).
    I wanted to do one light in RCX and send him the project to help preserve my photography decisions. Before sending it, I opened a new FCPX library to test, and see if the newer metadata (originated within RCX) were applied to the R3D folders.
    In FCPX, I see metadata are effectively updated, but trimming is not. And that's a shame

6. #16 unable to sync 
    As of 28 July 2016, running Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3 and RedCine-X Pro 40, I am unable to make any automatic synchronization work.

I followed the procedure outlined previously of making sure an RMD file exists for every set of R3Ds before bringing them into FCP X. Most of the time I am doing color correction in RedCine-X Pro anyway so I have RMD files because of that. When I bring the files into FCP X I make sure that I choose both create proxy and create optimized media.

If during the editing process I realize that I need a different look that is not achievable or desirable to achieve via FCP X alone I have to go into RedCine-X Pro, make the change, then go into the FCP X project and delete the proxy and optimized files. I use the Terminal application to do this.

For example, let's say I have a R3D that is A032_C015_42FG and I have a FCP Library named "My Super Movie" and my clips are in an event called 7-19-16

I would bring up Terminal.

cd "~/Documents/My Super Movie"
    cd "7-19-16"
    cd "Transcoded Media"
    find . | grep A032_C015

That would give me the list of proxy files I need to delete.

Once deleted, FCP X is smart enough to recreate them. There is no need to exit FCP X during any of this. I can edit in FCP X, decide to make a color correct, bring up RedCine-X Pro, do the color correct, bring up the Terminal delete the files, click back to FCP X and then within seconds FCP X will start recreating the Proxy and Optimized Media with the new RMD settings.

HOW TO FIX a FCPX project when FCPX is making RMD's and RCX is not updating.

Here is the procedure that worked for me: http://www.girafxmedia.com/?p=826
    Last edited by Blair Thornton; 11-18-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Hi all,

I re-open this thread because I am experiencing the same kind of issues, I am using FCP X 10.4 and RED CINE X 50.2, on SCARLET-W footage.

1) I open the R3D file in RED CINE X, make some primary changes, then apply a LUT, to get the look I want for the footage. I made sure that in RED CINE X 'Automatically Save RMD Files' was checked in the preferences.

2) I create a new FCP X Library and Event, and I import (option 'keep file in place' checked) the R3D footage that I previously edited.

And NONE of the changes I made in RED CINE X are visible on FCP X, the footage is totally ungraded (flat IPP2)....but for instance if I open the R3D file with RED PLAYER, then what I see is the graded shot.

Any idea??

(the fix mentioned by Blair below is irrelevant in my case, FCP X didn't create its own RMD file).

UPDATE: What is REALLY weird is that I don't have that kind of problem with sample footage downloaded on the RED website. On those files, when I change something on the R3D, the change is immediately visible on FCP X...

Thanks!
    Last edited by Emmanuel Rondeau; 03-01-2018 at 08:37 AM.

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel Rondeau View Post
    UPDATE: What is REALLY weird is that I don't have that kind of problem with sample footage downloaded on the RED website. On those files, when I change something on the R3D, the change is immediately visible on FCP X...
    Hi Emmanuel,

Can you file a support ticket and include a trimmed R3D and RMD that reproduces the issue you are having so we can investigate?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    Hi Emmanuel,

Can you file a support ticket and include a trimmed R3D and RMD that reproduces the issue you are having so we can investigate?
    Hello Stacey, sure, could you just point to the URL where I can file a support ticket? haven't found it on the support page.

UPDATE :
    More than happy to file a ticket when I'll have the URL but meanwhile, to save time, I uploaded an R3D file here: https://we.tl/cwchGNYHTx

Below what I see in RCX and what I see in FCP X.

Last edited by Emmanuel Rondeau; 03-02-2018 at 01:06 AM.