Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: My last RED

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My last RED 
    Well…this will more than likely be my last RED. I'm not into it anymore. I like the image, like the size, but question the company. Jim says, "You bought your camera to work, so work it". I work the hell out of my EPIC. I'm still not into having the value of my gear cut in half overnight, especially by the same company that made it.

I also have a company truck, a 2011 GMC truck with a Duramax diesel. It's dependable. I can count on it to get me just about anywhere and it also allows me to be profitable. It too has value. I can guarantee you that it will have a good trade in value next year. Why? Because GMC won't sell the 2013 for half the price of the 2011. I like that…..I'll buy another.

This "Changing the world" thing is getting out of hand. A bit of advise, when you care so much for your customers, you may want to think about your current customers rather than just the new ones.

Now, all of the RED lovers who defend RED at all cost can bash away. I'm OK with that too. I think it's a little ironic that so many people go to their defense after getting screwed by them but that's how it is.

My camera purchases in the future will more than likely be with Sony or Panasonic or Arri. The arrogance of RED is too much for me to swallow again.

Have a nice day!
    Lee Dashiell
    Osprey Production Group
    www.OspreyHD.com

Weren't you Stage 2? What was the price of your Epic? Wasn't Stage 2 like $19,500 for a whole kit? Correct me if I'm wrong please...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Dashiell View Post
    #4505 1 Epic stage II

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....l=1#post705831
    Last edited by Brandon J.F.; 11-05-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.

Today's cameras are more computer than camera.

The prices of computers fall, and fall dramatically, all the time.

Does it hurt? Sure it hurts. Our RED One M-X, that cost us $24,000 (not including accessories), is now priced at $4000—and we don't even have the SSD module! That hurts.

But it's just the way it is.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

Sony et al regularly scew their customer base - every time they release a new camera that can't be upgraded, but demand that customers pay full price for the latest kit.

Red have discounted their cameras with the knowledge that it can be upgraded to Dragon in a year or so (ie, not paying Epic prices for an entirely new camera).

To use your analogy - Red have reduced the price of their cars to make the trade in for the newer model ridiculously cheap, whereas Sony expect you to scrap your car an buy their 2013 model which is finally is up to date having ditched the 8 track
    Scarlet-X #119 'Ginger'

Two guys owned a one-truck trucking company. One day one said to the other "were losing money. What do you think we should do? The other partner said "We need more trucks." What I'm saying is by buying another Epic at the cheaper price, you bring down the cost of the one you bought at a higher price, thus reducing your perceived losses on the one, even though you are taking a small hit on the new one. To really recover the value of that first camera, buy 10. That will amortize the value of that first camera so that the amount of loss will be almost imperceptible.

EDIT: It just hit me... James Cameron bought 50 of these at the M prices IIRC. Just imagine how he feels about the price drop. It seems when you assess things, there's always someone worse off than you.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Aaahh, come on. We´ve gone through this with all our digital backs for still photography. We never thought about a resale value, just kept the old backs as backup just in case. Now with RED it has been more than unusual that these cameras have kept their value for such a long time and RED has been more than grateful with the Stage programs. I never experienced such offers for our digital backs. You might come to a different conclusion after your future experience with Sony or Panasonic...

Cheers, Ulf

Hopefully the value of your RED will go up with dragon just like the MX with the REDone.
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com
    Camera & Lighting Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    Carbon Fiber WEAPON Helium #651 "MISTRESS"
    DJI Ronin 2 “R2D2”
    Schneider Xenon FF primes PL

It's REDcode or no code...

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post

EDIT: It just hit me... James Cameron bought 50 of these at the M prices IIRC. Just imagine how he feels about the price drop. It seems when you assess things, there's always someone worse off than you.
    (He should be more pissed off about stealing the story for Ferngully: Save the Last Rainforest ;) )
    Scarlet-X #119 'Ginger'

Ironically, you'll be able to afford to buy the other cameras because of Red. Keep us updated on how it goes.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Dashiell View Post
    I'm still not into having the value of my gear cut in half overnight, especially by the same company that made it.
    I don't understand, isn't it 30% discount?

Old price:

EPIC-X is now available on RED.com for $27,500 (brain only)

New price:

5K EPIC-X Brain- $19,000

27'500-19'000 = 8500$

= 30% discount.