Thread: JIM, GRAB A BEER & LETS TALK...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21  
    Senior Member Terry VerHaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Millichamp View Post
    Being a red fanboy is the worst.
    Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. :-)
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member Andrae Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Has everyone forgotten the tsunami and the devastating effect it had on the supply chain. Jim may be a powerful business tycoon but he's not God.
    Is a Tsunami still happening in Japan? Will there a EPIC-M Dragon program... skip the line and get yours first if you pay more?
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

    Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon 6K, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ATLANTA, GEORGIA USA
    Posts
    596
    Originally Posted by Michael Millichamp
    Being a red fanboy is the worst.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment. :-)



    Sigh. Yup. ...I was right.
    ...too much RED on the brain.

    RED ONE# 43, RED ONE# 381
    EPIC-X# 43, EPIC-X# 385
    WEAPON (CF) #88
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member Terry VerHaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Palmer View Post
    ...Will there a EPIC-M Dragon program... skip the line and get yours first if you pay more?
    Your guess is as good as mine but don't forget the "M" is also hand machined which is probably why someone would choose it now, over the X. The tsunami wouldn't be the issue this time (unless we have another one).
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    142
    My business my gamble, that goes from assignment to equipment as far as I'm concerned. How many F900's do you see now? 100k, Varicam 65k both no lens included. I learned my lessons. I got tired of buying cameras then have the go extinct. I see the upgrade path and still keeping the shell/body as the biggest plus. I bought low into RED seeing 4k in the future but you know the future always changes. Stay with your plan. Keep making money.
    Keith B. Plummer
    [url]https://www.plumgood.productions
    Zeiss CZ's Zeiss Primes
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member Bryan Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Your guess is as good as mine but don't forget the "M" is also hand machined which is probably why someone would choose it now, over the X. The tsunami wouldn't be the issue this time (unless we have another one).
    Hand machined? Like with a file and a hammer?? Or you mean it was machined with the same machines china has but in america?? It doesn't matter to me. I slept it off. Im bummed but Im sure I will still upgrade. only it feels like putting money into a vehical that isn't worth it anymore if that makes sense.
    LOTS OF EPICS.
    SHOTOVER #20 F1 CONTACT US FOR AERIALS!!
    Tempt Media Films
    www.temptmediafilms.com
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member Terry VerHaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Moore View Post
    Hand machined? Like with a file and a hammer?? Or you mean it was machined with the same machines china has but in america?? It doesn't matter to me. I slept it off. Im bummed but Im sure I will still upgrade. only it feels like putting money into a vehical that isn't worth it anymore if that makes sense.
    Among the many things I am NOT, is a manufacturing expert. But RED did make a point of this and, as I understand it, the M body is, indeed, hand-machined as in a guy standing in front of a milling machine. The bodies of the Xs are cast. I am sure someone will correct me if I got the details wrong. :-)
     

  8. #28  
    What I don't get is why it is so hard for many people - mostly non Epic owners from what I gather - to understand that such price slashing, while perhaps beneficial to those who haven't yet bought an Epic, can actually hurt some of us smaller independents who don't have deep pockets or huge budgets. I doubt that Peter Jackson will feel the bite, but many of us lesser beings will. So what is the reaction of many here on REDUser when someone like A Fetchko merely mentions the pain? They say "tough beans". So much for warm support and understanding.

    Does mentioning that a significant drop in the value of your investment will have a non-negligeable effect on your finances make you a whiner? I don't think so.

    I don't think the initial poster was hoping that Jim would keep prices artificially high to protect his market but merely pointing out the effect this huge price reduction will have on his finances as well as the finances of many others including mine. How many of you can afford to be indifferent to the loss of some $15000? I know I can't....
    _______________________________________
    Jean Déraps
    Director, Writer and Director of Photography


    Dragon Rentals - Montréal, Canada and Worldwide |
    RED Technical Support and Post-Production, Montréal, Canada and Worldwide
    http://mondocom.ca
    info [at] mondocom [dot] ca
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Bryan Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Among the many things I am NOT, is a manufacturing expert. But RED did make a point of this and, as I understand it, the M body is, indeed, hand-machined as in a guy standing in front of a milling machine. The bodies of the Xs are cast. I am sure someone will correct me if I got the details wrong. :-)
    CNC. Program and walk away. Untill you need to remount it or its done. Not important tho. Regardless. People paid extra for it. I would still think it would be smart to keep the value up on the M.
    LOTS OF EPICS.
    SHOTOVER #20 F1 CONTACT US FOR AERIALS!!
    Tempt Media Films
    www.temptmediafilms.com
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member Terry VerHaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marin County, CA
    Posts
    6,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Déraps View Post
    What I don't get is why it is so hard for many people - mostly non Epic owners from what I gather - to understand that such price slashing, while perhaps beneficial to those who haven't yet bought an Epic, can actually hurt some of us smaller independents who don't have deep pockets or huge budgets. I doubt that Peter Jackson will feel the bite, but many of us lesser beings will. So what is the reaction of many here on REDUser when someone like A Fetchko merely mentions the pain? They say "tough beans". So much for warm support and understanding.

    Does mentioning that a significant drop in the value of your investment will have a non-negligeable effect on your finances make you a whiner? I don't think so.

    I don't think the initial poster was hoping that Jim would keep prices artificially high to protect his market but merely pointing out the effect this huge price reduction will have on his finances as well as the finances of many others including mine. How many of you can afford to be indifferent to the loss of some $15000? I know I can't....
    As earnestly as I can in response: Personally, I have tried to address my comments not to the emotional reaction but the rational one. People are entitled to FEEL any way they do. I don't mean to sound ironic with that statement - it is self-evident. (I just want to make a distinction). What I have argued against is the case some are trying to make on a rational business level that this is a "bad thing" and RED is "leading the race to the bottom" and all that stuff I consider - again, my opinion, BS. Change is hard and almost always prompts an emotional reaction - from elation for some who are excited about the opportunity to buy an Epic, to fear, anger, anxiety (etc) to those who feel a loss. Feelings are good but not appropriate as a justification for a business decision or a business argument.

    So, I sympathize with those who are feeling "bad" but I don't think the business case is very good for bashing RED for making the decisions they have. I doubt that they made this decision lightly and surely not because of Jim or Jarred's emotional state.
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts