Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NEW PRICES! but im very conflicted

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    -deleted
    Last edited by Roger Valdes; 11-05-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Knight View Post
    They knew they were gutting hundreds and hundreds of buyers. For months. They knew they were gutting me when I purchased my Epic-X six weeks ago.
    No, not for months. When did Sony announce the F5 / F55?

Quote Originally Posted by James T Mather View Post
    Plus I don't buy that it is entirely down to manufacturing savings so much as responding to Sony's announcement which seems uncannily coincident.
    This part I agree with.

Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba

I give credit to red...they move closer to their promise of 4K for 4K and people go nuts and start complaining about their investments...
    No matter what you do...people will always find an excuse to be upset...

I grasp that people who bought last week are in pain since that's money able to be spent on accessories but did you want red to hold off passing the buck go consumers? If people knew red could drop it a few K more they'd be annoyed red is too much off the camera

The investment issue is understandable but it's tech, prices drop and although it doesn't work in favour of everyone, new kids on the block who are renting the camera and not themselves...people like say Toia or Ketch would get paid even if they were rocking a 5D probably, heck bloom gets paid and he uses a 5D and he got paid when he had an epic...

It's just a matter of grasping that the small guy can't compete on the same level as the rest in the rental game - it's safer to invest in your own skills and sell those with the camera and you've carved yourself a little niche

Not the point? Well investments go up sometimes and sometimes they drop. Anyone with any knowledge on camera gear know that they'll eventually lose a heck of a lot on their investment regardless of time,imagine red one owners,they could've paid $4K instead of the crazy 17K right? It's crazy now because that's what an epic almost costs and it does more!

Glass is what you call an investment, look at super speeds and Leica r, selling well above their usual fetching prices now...

Tech like cameras depreciate so fast in this day and age it's incredible. Dragon is evidence of that, what is relevant for us today will not be next year when the DR of the camera goes up...epics without dragon won't be any less valued but once producers and renters grasp how much extra DR there is, they'll start asking for Dragon EPICs, then what happens to scarlet owners?

The point being that there is always some situation to complain about, instead of moaning here...go out and shoot, make an awesome reel, sell ur skill with the camera. The industry isn't totally dumb when it comes to skill over gear

Edit:
    Not meaning go offend anyone with the moaning comment but think about it this way, sell your epic for its value and wait, Sony, Canon and the rest will now need to fight on the 4K front and drop their prices to red levels or lower....consumer wins. Canon will definitely be making a drop in their 4K cameras...they have the ability To reduce cost just like red
    Or work the camera off, it'll take longer now but still possible, then sell it for whatever the price will be then and swap over

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel Kramer View Post
    Even if you expense it, the residual value is still cut.. It's still a loss. If i could have sold last week for x, but tomorrow i can only get y ( a number less than x) I have still lost value.
    So let me get this straight. You made loads of money with your EPIC. You wrote the camera off against tax so effectively got it for free, but now its remaining value isn't as much, so you are really upset and complaining that you won't be able to make as much profit as expected.

Aside from that of course you have lots of clients who don't hire you for your cameras anyway, so you are doing great business.

Have I got that quite right because seriously, I feel really bad for you. Honestly my heart is bleeding about this terrible situation you are in.

Have you thought about consoling yourself for this terrible loss in your life by buying an EPIC Monochrome at the new reduced rate maybe?

(Yes I'm from the UK)

love

Freya

Quote Originally Posted by Tom.Wong View Post
    just to put some perspective back in this thread.

Sony has essentially murdered their f65 line with the F55, its' everything the 65 really should have been. you are gaining very little by shooting with the f65. some higher framerates at full resolution, and a camera 3 times the size. the people who have invested 100k into this system has had that business investment just shattered. It's not like it dropped in price, as amazing as the image quality was, when it came down to how the camera was designed for every day work, Sony practically said. "shitty first try, but now we got it right, sorry for the mix up."

Interesting perspective.

Have you tested both cameras side by side ?

F55 is in Red One resolution range. F65 exceeds Epic's.
    Electronic shutter/mechanical shutter. 120 fps in full resolution didn't seem to be "a little gain" for the Epic.

Very very true Steve. This is such an important attribute that doesn't get talked about very often. Your talent has to be overwhelming to still get hired despite being a total A hole. Be cool man just be cool ....

I'm willing to buy a Meizler module for $2166 if anyone at RED is interested.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon 6K, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/

Yeah the accessories are too expensive, that's for sure. Come on 45% price reduction on that too. I'm half joking ;-)

IMHO, if you want to invest money to get more money out of your investment, like buying one day and selling an other for more, then cameras are not the right item.

If you are a dp, why do you buy a camera if it's so hard to get your investment back, just rent it. And IMHO the camera that is the best suited for every job does not exist.

Lastly, Epic-M owner had their epic for years before this price drop, stage 2 about one year, and early stage 3 about 8 months. I understand the pain of people that just bought an Epic-X for a bit less than 40k. Sure Red is not the only company to do this. Iridas Speedgrade just droped in price, Da vinci Resolve also, blue fish don't sell their 444 board that expensive, and so on.

my2cent$.

Quote Originally Posted by Imran Farouk View Post
    ... Glass is what you call an investment, look at super speeds and Leica r, selling well above their usual fetching prices now... Tech like cameras depreciate so fast in this day and age it's incredible. Dragon is evidence of that, what is relevant for us today will not be next year when the DR of the camera goes up...epics without dragon won't be any less valued but once producers and renters grasp how much extra DR there is, they'll start asking for Dragon EPICs, then what happens to scarlet owners?
    Lot of good points Imran, I think the only good investment now is in a strong visual story - which currently isn't normally under the control of the DP(i think indirectly, this will be the big positive change to the industry, forcing DP's that want to be distinctive to be involved with the visual story). What you have changed in the market place I think at least vectors DP's back into the drivers seat of visual stories. I btw don't think glass will be a good investment when dragon comes out, I mean you can take ok glass that is T2, shoot at T3 for more clarity, use in camera focus/zoom to remove breathing, remove lens problems with the extra 2k & a static transform - and you have the same final image as a master prime on the current camera.

Lets see... how do i get myself out of this price/asset value loss conundrum? I have to go back to the days when I worked on Wall Street buying and selling stocks.... There was only one way to lower your cost on a stock that went down in price.. you buy more at the lower price - Its known as averaging down and you only do it if you think the company is still a buy.... So to all of us complaining about the new price vs what we paid - buy a few more brains. That will lower our average cost!