Thread: F5/55

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Certainly have nailed it with the F55. I would consider this as the first camera to be solidly match epic and to be honest has the edge. In fact, as it does mostly does more for less $ (from pricing estimates or seeing images from the sensor) one would have to question why would you buy an EPIC or seriously think about it. And just reading Jim's thread today I think he knows Sony have really nailed it. The argument between companies and what you get as a customer from support and future upgrades isn't in doubt, but Sony have delivered something here that is a combination of EPIC and ALEXA wrapped in one. While RED have led for years with what they offer its well and truly been levelled. If Dragon doesn't gear it up big time and a mixture of well priced really good modules hit the ground it's very very much levelled IMO. The cost of the Meizler now looks outdated and what customers have been SCREAMING for since the modular idea of a tiny module with HD Prores to dual record is now standard in another camera (different codecs but same principal) and RED will be catching up. It's great for the big picture and is what you wanted all along Jim, hope you have your game face on because it just got interesting...very interesting...keen to see what you guys can pull out of the hat very very soon and not in 12-24 months!
    Brigham Edgar
    Cinematographer
    www.brighamedgar.com
    Brisbane, Australia

I think it will hurt more the Alexa market than the Epic one.
    This doen't mean they won't eat up a tiny bit of RED's cake.

The only spec wich is far better (as of today) than the Epic/Scarlet is the GLOBAL SHUTTER. That's a +++ for them.

Pat

Really...dual recording, the Alexa style menu interface, simple simple established workflow, shutter, no cropping for overspeed, DR, Sony audio, price, Sony bug-less bulletproof reliability...there are quite a number. If Sony delivers on their image quality as they normally do this is very much an alternative to EPIC...very much!!! RED have been put on notice, Sony took your ideas, ARRIs ideas and blended it into a cracker!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I think it will hurt more the Alexa market than the Epic one.
    This doen't mean they won't eat up a tiny bit of RED's cake.

The only spec wich is far better (as of today) than the Epic/Scarlet is the GLOBAL SHUTTER. That's a +++ for them.

Pat
    Brigham Edgar
    Cinematographer
    www.brighamedgar.com
    Brisbane, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blackham View Post
    And people are still happy to invest in this stuff ?
    I guess people haven´t been to happy to invest. Hence the price cut? :)

Philip Bloom has spoken...

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Bloom
    With a global shutter, that sensitivity and that price, coupled with the reliability and backup of a company like Sony. Red are going to be in serious trouble. Please ignore by previous Red issues. I have no ill feelings towards red. None at all. i adore there cameras and if I hadn’t blown all my money I got when I returned my Epic on drugs and hookers (again joke!!!) then I would possibly have dipped my foot into it again. But now? No chance.
    http://philipbloom.net/2012/10/30/sonynew/

(Obviously I don't agree with him.)
    Last edited by Brandon J.F.; 10-30-2012 at 03:49 AM.

mini prores module would make me happy.

Its taken 5 years and 3 Red cameras before this could happen, yes finally if the cameras are sold for the price announced
    we will have a choice in the 4K camera market. We are in 5K land and then 6K ???????

Yusuf Thakur
    VFX.Dubai
    www.vfxme.com

PRICING

Update from Philip Bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Bloom
    ...the F55 will be around $50k body only so not cheap, raw module probably another $10k….F5 I am told list price of $18k.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J.F. View Post
    PRICING

Update from Philip Bloom.

...the F55 will be around $50k body only so not cheap, raw module probably another $10k….F5 I am told list price of $18k.
    And in serious trouble is ...... still SONY :-)