Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: The Gentleman's Underwater Bubble Blower Thread

Reply to Thread
Page 322 of 323 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323 LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 3221
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    So 20 to 30 dens on one small island, all with ravenous bears emerging in the spring, how did you prevent yourself from being a bear snack?

Very alarming stuff, the disappearance of the ice.
    Essentially polar bears are curious first and foremost, an amazing animal. But you need field craft, a lot of common sense which comes down to reading their intentions.
    Oh... and yes, avoid the hungry ones if you can! :))

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Coller View Post
    I Have a question. Is anyone out there using a topside tripod and fluid head underwater. I have seen the preferred head for uw work by the bbc is the Ronford Baker F4 head but these are like hens teeth to find second hand. A simple robust set of standard AL legs would probably be fine with salt water. The head on the other hand might be a different story. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reasonably simple fluid head that is easy to self service without too many small parts that would easily corrode.
    I would avoid aluminum, any sand or salt that manages to scratch the anodizing will start corrosion 'fizzing'. Use carbon fiber legs instead, (if you're buying second-hand, not the older glass-polyester resin composites (wicking issue), but the newer ones constructed with carbon-fibre epoxies; with thorough cleaning after immersion should last a very long time.

Fluid head prices are all over the map, I would buy the cheapest you can get away with as salt water, from my observation, is very tough on these; consider it a throw-away after a just few months of use. I also think that since you're working in a fluid environment, there isn't that much reason to need a fluid head, camera movement will be naturally dampened by ambient conditions.

A good sturdy ball head may be what you're looking for Mark, such as this one;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1301057
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    FAA 333 UAS Aerial Cinematography 4K RAW
    Red Sea Pictures

I would avoid aluminum, any sand or salt that manages to scratch the anodizing will start corrosion 'fizzing'. Use carbon fiber legs instead, (if you're buying second-hand, not the older glass-polyester resin composites (wicking issue), but the newer ones constructed with carbon-fibre epoxies; with thorough cleaning after immersion should last a very long time.

Fluid head prices are all over the map, I would buy the cheapest you can get away with as salt water, from my observation, is very tough on these; consider it a throw-away after a just few months of use. I also think that since you're working in a fluid environment, there isn't that much reason to need a fluid head, camera movement will be naturally dampened by ambient conditions.

A good sturdy ball head may be what you're looking for Mark, such as this one;

Thanks for the input Tom. Really appreciate it.
    www.atlanticedgefilms.com
    6K UNDERWATER ROCKS!!!!
    EPIC-X Dragon 05648, EPIC-X Dragon 06090, Nauticam Housings x 2, Canon EF Glass

Probably already aware Mark, but worth mentioning, when setting up on a sandy bottom extend the lower tripod legs first, that will keep the joints out of the sand. Once in, that sand will grind away, complete disassembly required to clean properly.

See attached pic for sandy bottoms to be especially vigilant for ...
    Attached Images
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    Red Sea Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Essentially polar bears are curious first and foremost, an amazing animal. But you need field craft, a lot of common sense which comes down to reading their intentions.
    Oh... and yes, avoid the hungry ones if you can! :))
    William, I am quite intrigued by your 'field craft' comment, sounds very much like a John LeCarre novel, George Smiley and his Cold War spies. The shark guys on this thread know very well how that works, species specific, go to the location, plan the shot, stay out of the danger zone where possible, but above all, get the shot.

Insights?

Attached, Frazier Nivens with Great Hammerhaed, Aquavideo housing, photo by John Bantin.
    Attached Images
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    Red Sea Pictures

A good sturdy ball head may be what you're looking for Mark, such as this one; that have been used

Normal I use a custom built tripod legs directly connected to the housing without any head. That allows for a very low setup, at bottom level and I can rise it until around 60 cm from the bottom. That said, only in a few macro situations I felt the need to have a video head to a quicker adjustmentt when the subject moves, while rectionording (but then I will loose the ability to position the housing very low at subject level). The disadvantage is that they are not quick removable so you need to put some additional bouncy compensation in the housing, which is quite easily done.

If I would buy a tripod head, I would go for a truly fluid head (Manfrotto have some inexpensive ones that will cost about 140 USD - underwater the housing is almost weightless) and not a ball head as mentioned above (they are useless if you need to make some tilt movements while recording).

As for the legs, no doubt that carbon fiber ones are better but quite more expensive. I have a Gitzo AL that I've been using uw for years and still works. But if I started today, I would buy some inexpensive chinese brand legs (you can buy complete tripods of good size and very good sturdiness for 60 USD or so).
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

perhaps this could work out?
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ripod_kit.html

or a cheaper alternative, if the weight rating is usable...
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_tripod.html

if you want something more of a potential throwaway after use, $150 davis & sanford will likely support the weight underwater and i've heard they are actually good about replacement parts. on the others you could just totally replace the heads if necessary, but i have no idea what would happen to them underwater and if you could service any of them, or if they would even hold up for more than one trip underwater.
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Guerra View Post
    Normal I use a custom built tripod legs directly connected to the housing without any head. That allows for a very low setup, at bottom level and I can rise it until around 60 cm from the bottom. That said, only in a few macro situations I felt the need to have a video head to a quicker adjustmentt when the subject moves, while rectionording (but then I will loose the ability to position the housing very low at subject level). The disadvantage is that they are not quick removable so you need to put some additional bouncy compensation in the housing, which is quite easily done.

If I would buy a tripod head, I would go for a truly fluid head (Manfrotto have some inexpensive ones that will cost about 140 USD - underwater the housing is almost weightless) and not a ball head as mentioned above (they are useless if you need to make some tilt movements while recording).

As for the legs, no doubt that carbon fiber ones are better but quite more expensive. I have a Gitzo AL that I've been using uw for years and still works. But if I started today, I would buy some inexpensive chinese brand legs (you can buy complete tripods of good size and very good sturdiness for 60 USD or so).
    No doubt Rui, the housing mounted tripod legs work for many situations, my favorite are the XIT404 units, here:

https://www.xit404.com/collections/t...lamp-kit-1-leg

Fluid heads are a different story. The Cartoni manuals, for example, are very specific about operation in salt water. To wit, don't go there. They won't honor any kind of warranty if you have submerged them in the ocean, and I guess rightly so.

We work in a very corrosive environment.
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    Red Sea Pictures

William, I am quite intrigued by your 'field craft' comment, sounds very much like a John LeCarre novel, George Smiley and his Cold War spies. The shark guys on this thread know very well how that works, species specific, go to the location, plan the shot, stay out of the danger zone where possible, but above all, get the shot.

Insights?

Attached, Frazier Nivens with Great Hammerhaed, Aquavideo housing, photo by John Bantin.
    Love the photo Tom! Reminds me of my mate Göran Ehlmé who has done the same thing with Killer Whales, Leopard seals and Walrus. He has a story or two and happens to make the best dry suits around! http://www.waterproof.eu

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Love the photo Tom! Reminds me of my mate Göran Ehlmé who has done the same thing with Killer Whales, Leopard seals and Walrus. He has a story or two and happens to make the best dry suits around! http://www.waterproof.eu
    Thanks for that link William, am in the market for a new drysuit, which one of their suits would you recommend?
    Dragon 6K 'Red Sea'
    Gates Deep Weapon/Dragon
    Red Sea Pictures