View Poll Results: Epic Native ISO ~ 800 vs 320

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • 800 ISO

84 52.83%
  • 320 ISO

75 47.17%

Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Opinion POLL: EPIC native ISO = 800 or ISO = 320?

Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    I'm confused by Red's ISO settings because I'm used to how my DSLR works.

If, unlike a DSLR, dynamic range and noise are not affected by changing the ISO setting...what IS?
    Mid gray point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    I'm confused by Red's ISO settings because I'm used to how my DSLR works.

If, unlike a DSLR, dynamic range and noise are not affected by changing the ISO setting...what IS?

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/exp...th-red-cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shaw View Post
    I don't think taking it out would be a good idea why remove a tool that many people use. Personally I like looking at REDlogFilm at 800ISO as my version of RAW view, but that's just my personal choice. I like it because each stop takes up an equal space along the x-axis of the histogram, so I feel I'm seeing a good representation of the distribution of exposure.
    Your considered approach of Redlogfilm at 800asa is very different to how I have seen people using Raw... "It is a raw camera that's is why I monitor raw" the WYSIWYG approach... Wrong perhaps but a very easy mistake to make. The most talented of my DP friends all have very little idea about this stuff and I don't blame them. Please Red needs clarity and simplicity where things can be clear and simple. Renaming the tool is fine by me...

Regards

Michael

Ps I also have noticed (on this forum many times) people claiming to be shooting 320 but actually shooting 800-1000 ish but monitoring 320. The footage then needs to be pushed in RCx by 1,2 sometimes 3 stops to get a good result..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    If you think that your image is less noisy at 320 than at 800, don't be fooled by what's going on. These are meta applied settings, the noise is still there at 320, but with the lower grey point on your curve, you're compressing the dark detail and crushing the noise out. The sensor records the same thing, regardless of what you have your ISO set to.
    I am happy to sacrifice that bottom stop because I don't think it's clean enough. I do a lot of phone work and while the product is "black", where that black is exposed to is important. I like my blacks to be clean. At 800 if you're using that last stop you're going to have to dig into the noise floor. So sure it's recording the same thing at 320, but you're pretending that it's a stop less shadow detail.

I thought the only way you'd actually see the extra stop of highlight protection by shooting at 800ISO was if you lowered ISO/FLUT/Curves in post to bring down the image a stop or two less than 800ISO.... Otherwise you're needlessly boosting noise in the the stops below mid-grey and the extra highlight detail you've acquired via physical exposure adjustments (shutter, f-stop) will remain too bright to be seen as distinguishable detail.

Conversely, if you're controlling the light in the scene, and ISO is metadata, and the amount of dynamic range is the same regardless of ISO, then it shouldn't matter what you shoot at as it should always be the same (it's always ~13.5 stops, so you'd use a bit more fill to ensure highlight protection whilst not falling into absolutely noisy blacks.) Or no?

i am a still shooter and in the process of thinking of joining the red/scarlet club...my mind is pretty much made up....i have been digging around for raw footage and one of the main points for me is the option to pull stills from footage....
    this is a very interesting discussion for me because i have found that 2/3 of all the footage i find is actually (when looking at a properly exposed histogram) 1-2 stops underexposed...neither shadows or highlights are necessary clipped but most of the information is pushed towards the left and compressed in a small portion of the spectrum....and when i play with the still (or footage) and pull the iso slider towards the right i often find the histogram to look perfect, shadows and highlights still good at 2000iso.....which is of course the reason why i find so much noise (pretty much everywhere).....
    again: as a still shooter, my eye is glued to the histogram...even knowing that it only shows me the jpeg info....with dslr i shoot most of my stuff at base iso, choose my f-stop and adjust the shutter (or add or pump up the light)....of course with motion it is not so easy because the shutter is (for the most part) the constant....f-stop is often an esthetic decision.....so one has to either add light(s)...or pump up the iso.....
    i too like a darker tone in my stills but i know that i need to shoot an even histogram to give the sensor a chance to get a good exposure......
    i can't wait to check it out myself, shoot my own stuff....really excited about hdrx for the same reason....

Fuck it, it looks great at both.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    Really, neither this page nor Graeme's explanations in this long and frustratingly obtuse thread make it clear that:

Quote Originally Posted by Philipe Ratton View Post
    [Changing ISO merely moves] Mid gray point.
    Honestly, that one sentence would've addressed so much of the confusion and frustration in this thread. Red needs to start using it.