Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Core Sound TetraMic Ambisonic Microphone and RED

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by David Wilson View Post
    Len - would it be possible to post the .amb of your fine performance? (Your guitar is better than my accordion.)
    Either you're being kind or you are a really bad accordion player!

(3/18/2004 -- Link removed)
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Thanks Len - I'll send you a sample of my accordion playing when I get the TetraMic/4Mic in house. Wait - I don't want that threat to slow down my deliveries...

any news? is this working now? seem like a neat mic set up

I very much like the tetramic samples I've heard, both those that Len posted in this thread (recorded into RED with external preamps) and those that are in the extensive review by Paul Hodges. I will very likely get one, although probably not until after I've received my camera and played around with it some (late June, early July).

If Len happens back by this thread, I'd be interested to know how many of the early buyers have been film/video industry types. With ability to obtain hyper and super cardiod functionality in post, I'd think it would have some appeal to film sound recordists, although I think the appeal for ambient musical recordings would be much higher. Also, I wonder how close to short shotgun type isolation you can get with tetramic. I don't own a shotgun but will likely get one once I begin production on my own narrative projects and am curious if that kind of functionality can in anyway be extracted from a tetramic.
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Quote Originally Posted by eclaire View Post
    I'd be interested to know how many of the early buyers have been film/video industry types.
    A substantial fraction.

Also, I wonder how close to short shotgun type isolation you can get with tetramic. I don't own a shotgun but will likely get one once I begin production on my own narrative projects and am curious if that kind of functionality can in anyway be extracted from a tetramic.
    TetraMic is able to model any first order microphone. That includes all mics with patterns along the continuum from omni to cardioid to supercardioid to hypercardioid to figure-8. Unfortunately, shotguns are not first order mics so they are not in TetraMic's repertoire.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

6. #46 Steering a TetraMic in Post-Production 
    In previous postings we mentioned how you can record with a TetraMic and then later, in post-production, steer and zoom the microphone pattern to pick out one speaker in a group -- no boom operator needed.

Here's a You-Tube video of this being done with another Ambisonic microphone (not a TetraMic).

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...fRwAr0FoF4JDBj
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Thank you Len, amazing and potentially very useful capability.

Just to report... We've had our Tetramic for a bit over a month and absolutely love both the microphone and the astonishing spatial sense we've been able to create in the recordings made with it.

Now, with any luck, it is just a short spell before our RED arrives and we can work with these two extraordinary tools in tandem.

How does it stand up to outdoor use/inclement weather?

Mark,

We've been using the TetraMic for many months now. The mic itself is very tough. Some of the connecting parts could be considered a bit delicate just given their small size but we've had no problems at all.

The microphone itself is as rugged as any good microphone. We have used it primarily out-of-doors and have had no problems. It's vulnerability to inclement weather is, in my experience, neither greater nor less than any other microphone I have ever used.

I should say, however, that we have been doing dual system sound, not recording sound to the camera. Our camera is 2343 and we're still in line for the replacement sound board. I suspect we'll try recording directly to the camera then but suspect we will go back to dual system just because that is what we are used to.

The TetraMic itself and the remarkable world of ambisonic sound that it ushers in, we have found to be utterly superb.

Hope this helps,
    David