Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Core Sound TetraMic Ambisonic Microphone and RED

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesherrick View Post
    Len, I can add the sound to the mov file for you. PM me if you still need help with it.
    Done.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Len, the sample has definitely piqued my interest in your product, especially given the limitations in the testing environment. Considering that you applied an 18db boost in post and that the mic was much closer to the camera than to the subject, it sounded very good with much less noise than I would expect. Will definitely hunt up the other sound samples of the tetramic you mentioned.
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Quote Originally Posted by eclaire View Post
    Len, the sample has definitely piqued my interest in your product, especially given the limitations in the testing environment. Considering that you applied an 18db boost in post and that the mic was much closer to the camera than to the subject, it sounded very good with much less noise than I would expect. Will definitely hunt up the other sound samples of the tetramic you mentioned.

If you're interested I can also post a version of the Blumlein stereo decode that has been zoomed, and perhaps also a mono/hypercardioid/zoom.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

A zoom would be great!

Quick question for you: if I'm reading the info on your site correctly, there's a breakout cable that converts the 6-pin unbalanced mic output to 4 individual mini xlr outputs, one for each capsule. However, because the tetramic requires @ 6V phantom power instead of 48, each of the 4 breakouts must also be plugged into a phantom power adapter (couldn't find pics of these on your site) to be used with standard 48v phantom sources (like most mixers, preamps, etc.) How hard would it be to simply get the RED camera to supply 6V phantom power as an alternative to 48V? Since so much about RED is firmware controlled and since it already features mini XLR inputs, I'm just wondering if a simple solution for a RED/tetramic combo could be to make a single, short breakout cable terminated in mini XLR-male that could plug directly into the 4 mini-XLR-female ports on the RED, which would then supply the appropriate 6V phantom power directly, without any intervening connectors or hardware?
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Len,

Quote Originally Posted by Len M. View Post
    If you're interested I can also post a version of the Blumlein stereo decode that has been zoomed, and perhaps also a mono/hypercardioid/zoom.
    I would be interested in hearing you Blumlein Pair decode.
    Andrew Madu

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeswharf View Post
    Len,

I would be interested in hearing you Blumlein Pair decode.
    The original file I posted was a straight Blumlein decode. Here's the link again:

http://www.core-sound.com/RED/RED-wi...-Blumlein2.wav

Here's the same recording with a fully zoomed Blumlein decode:

http://www.core-sound.com/RED/RED-wi...-Blumlein2.wav

It has the same amount of gain added as the original decode.

Here's the same recording again -- this time it's decoded to a single cardioid with mono output:

http://www.core-sound.com/RED/RED-wi...Cardioid_2.wav
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Len - would it be possible to post the .amb of your fine performance? (Your guitar is better than my accordion.)

...How hard would it be to simply get the RED camera to supply 6V phantom power as an alternative to 48V?
    That's really a question for the RED technical folks.

From what I can guess about the design of the RED mic pre-amps, it would be a major hardware change for its phantom power circuit to generate 6 Volts instead of 48.

The TetraMic PPAs are rather small. You can see them in the pictures that Dan Graetz posted earlier.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Quote Originally Posted by Len M. View Post
    The TetraMic PPAs are rather small. You can see them in the pictures that Dan Graetz posted earlier.
    Looking at the XLR jack I've labeled "A", I assume the PPA is within that structure, a cylindrical part roughly twice as long as a standard XLR jack on the end of a balanced mic cable? And then the small mini XLR plug coming from the 4 X breakout cable is the part labeled "B"?

Also, are the PPAs battery powered or do they somehow passively transform the voltage?
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Looking at the XLR jack I've labeled "A", I assume the PPA is within that structure, a cylindrical part roughly twice as long as a standard XLR jack on the end of a balanced mic cable? And then the small mini XLR plug coming from the 4 X breakout cable is the part labeled "B"?
    That's correct.

Also, are the PPAs battery powered or do they somehow passively transform the voltage?
    They operate on the 48V phantom power; no batteries are needed.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic