Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Core Sound TetraMic Ambisonic Microphone and RED

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Len, all this sounds very interesting, and I will make it a point to hear some of your samples. But I'm a little curious (troubled?) that the output is not balanced. Can you comment on why such a given feature of professional microphones was not implemented here?
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks

RED Epic-X #2114

Quote Originally Posted by eclaire View Post
    Len, all this sounds very interesting, and I will make it a point to hear some of your samples. But I'm a little curious (troubled?) that the output is not balanced. Can you comment on why such a given feature of professional microphones was not implemented here?
    The only unbalanced cable that must be used is the breakout cable. It is very well shielded and is a very short run - only one foot long. As soon as you transition to the phantom power adapter, the signal is balanced from there onwards. In practice we've found that noise pickup is not a problem.

We did it that way to keep TetraMic very small, for portable applications.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic

Are you using any isolating high/low impedance transformers or the 4 unbalanced outputs are straight from the active components?

Looking at the physical size of the mic, I'd bet there is no transformer in it. No good quality audio-frequency transformer could physically fit inside. If the unbalanced part is shielded and only one foot long, I doubt there would be much noise pickup.

There are shotgun microphones that have longer internal (unbalanced) cable runs than that. The same electrical principles apply.

Hmmm...I'd have to give it a shot in a typical dialogue scenario and try the post processing to see what it can achieve, but it sounds interesting. Len, any issues with using the VSTs with something like a VST>RTAS plugin that I have for Pro Tools on a Mac?

Thanks,
    Steve

6. #16 TetraMic mounted on RED #329 
    For those interested here's a few pics of the TetraMic mounted on a RED. We're waiting on a few mini-XLR cables so we haven't been able to test it yet. But so far we're pretty happy with the configuration.

The 4 x PPAs tuck in nicely behind one of the side handles. Any suggestions for better setups eg. snakes, would be appreciated.

There's a thread reduction ring in the TetraMic suspension mount - into which we've screwed a Manfrotto camera stub. Next step is to try some kind of Israeli arm from the handle mount on top - to get the setup a bit higher and out of the operator's way.

Obviously we won't be running it concurrently with the Schoeps M/S setup - just trying to load the RED with as much nerdy crap as possible for the sake of a few photos :) We're also trying to work out a nice way to bolt the MixPre onto a side handle if anyone has any suggestions.

On the software side there's a VST to AU converter we're about to test. Our hope is be able to edit the ambisonics within FCP. stay tuned...

can you do us a favor Graetzy and test the tetra mics ability for dialog if its not too much trouble. I would love to be able to put it on a boom and have the ability to capture audio from different people without using a wireless on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Len M. View Post
    We exhibit every year at AES. We don't expect to be at NAB. Should we be?
    I can see alot of people who only attend NAB, like myself, being interested
    in tetramic, I know of 2 very large spaces that just became available.
    hehheh.

TetraMic is priced at $999 is it true .?i would like to hear it's melody

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Are you using any isolating high/low impedance transformers or the 4 unbalanced outputs are straight from the active components?
    The TetraMic's four outputs are low impedance. No transformers are used there.
    Len Moskowitz
    Core Sound
    Home of TetraMic