Thread: Steadicam Pro Vid 2 Plus

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Steadicam Pro Vid 2 Plus with Epic? 
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Steadicam Pro Vid 2 Plus for a good price. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for flying an Epic. Background info: I have zero experience w/ any type of Steadicam rig and little to none as far as background knowledge of the various camera stabilizers on the market (current or older models). So consider that in your responses.
    Thanks for any helpful responses.
    David Callahan
    Resolute Visuals
    www.resolutevisuals.tv

David, just about everyone I have ever talked to about this, steadicam operators, as well as non steadicam operators have always told me the same thing - it's something you have to be dedicated to, and practice regularly. It can take considerable time for some people to get good at it. First step IMHO would be to do some steadicam training, see how quickly you are able to pick up on it, and if you're pretty good at it and you're really into it, then look into buying something. Without the training you may find yourself getting very frustrated and putting the steadicam on ebay.

Don't want to discourage you, but from my experience this is what I have gathered.
    Steve Sherrick

Senior Member constantine Tirintzis's Avatar
    Before you can buy a steadicam are you sure steadicam is something you want to do? Are you doing this just because is a bargain or is it because you are interested in the steadicam art?

To answer your question a provid can fly the weight of an Epic yes.

But dont jump into this if you are not interested in the steadicam operation art, just to find out that you will be selling the gear a year after because you have discovevred that you cant do it well or it hurts your body.

there are many brands these days, looks to me that Axtion Products is the most features full these days at the most suitable price.

But also many did buy this rig to sell it after a few months just because they just couldnt do this.

Regards
    Constantine Tirintzis
    Steadicam,Robotics,design & engineering
    constantine@flowcine.com

Hi David,

Just saw your question here. I know you do a lot of different work, did you finally invested in one?
    (I hope to be able to get a Scarlet on my SteadiCam Pilot running without changing too much.)

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: as the other mentioned, that is not just like a new tripod (buy and use) it needs training and with that, it is perhaps a question of building up some specific muscle groups. (seriously)
    Last edited by Dr. Sassi; 05-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.

+1

Looking at steadicam's myself right now, thanks for any advice/experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sassi View Post
    Hi David,

Just saw your question here. I know you do a lot of different work, did you finally invested in one?
    (I hope to be able to get a Scarlet on my SteadiCam Pilot running without changing too much.)

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: as the other mentioned, that is not just like a new tripod (buy and use) it needs training and with that, it is perhaps a question of building up some specific muscle groups. (seriously)
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

steadicam is kinda gnarly.. I wanted a zephyr.. went to nab and tried one on and flew a a large panasonic camera.. NOT EASY..

and the way my back felt the day after, well... it basically knocked that notion of being a steadicam op right out of my brain

Id rather leave it to the pros. who get paid the big bucks to eff their backs up
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sassi View Post
    Hi David,

All the best

Sassi

Sassi,
    Good to hear from you! I was inquiring b/c we had the opportunity to buy one locally. We decided it wasn't the best route for us.
    David Callahan
    Resolute Visuals
    www.resolutevisuals.tv

I too is looking to invest on a steadicam zephyr as soon as I can find one come within my budget of $8k, the pro is a top brand and the one you mention and I googled it, is a much older rig. Not sure what your plan is, but the zephyr is more ideal for commercial and corporate event to wedding. Where as that rig is more for TV show with heavy camera or movie production.