Thread: Cinema Oxide's Carbonite Scope Delivered - Review

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapour Daneshmand View Post
    Jean,
    the tite of this tread should read,"Cinema Oxide's Carbon Scope did not deliver.
    these third party providers must understand that they are dealing with a community who is used to the RED level of products.
    i will do exactly the same. Ask for full refund.
    YEAH!! Tell em'
    Just like the side handle battery clip that doesn't hold in the battery, or the RedMote that doesn't hold a connection more than 5 feet from the camera, or the sometimes buggy software that causes random shutdowns, or the flare issue from a silver surround on the sensor, or the extended period without playback, or sound playback…

Oh wait - those were all problems from RED...

*/end sarcasm/*

These are small batch products from small companies
    Last edited by Glen Powell; 09-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Whether RED sends out cameras with issues or not shouldn't have anything to do with the quality of products that come out of my shop.

If Jean isn't happy with the eyecup all he has to do is let me know and I can send him the rubber eyecup that he prefers, or I can issue a full refund.
    Jason Comparetto
    Cinema [Oxide]
    www.CinemaOxide.com
    www.JasonCases.com

Epic-X #707 and the finest camera cases in the World
    Phantom 4k Flex available for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Shapour Daneshmand View Post
    Jean,
    the tite of this tread should read,"Cinema Oxide's Carbon Scope did not deliver.
    these third party providers must understand that they are dealing with a community who is used to the RED level of products.
    i will do exactly the same. Ask for full refund.
    Jason is a good guy i recently got wrench set from him and few weeks later he pm'd me on here and ask about iam happy with the torx set or not.

I received my scope a few days ago and have to say that I am very satisfied. The only gripe I have is the fact that the bracket has to stay on in order to prevent the rubber from coming off. Otherwise, it's light, sturdy, and works great. Glad you persevered, Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    Jason is a good guy i recently got wrench set from him and few weeks later he pm'd me on here and ask about iam happy with the torx set or not.

I bought these Pittsburg torx wrenches at Harbor Freight for only $12....

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-98523.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A. Kelley View Post
    Well I have the older version, but I like mine quite a bit.. Does exactly what I need it to do.

Glad to see you on here Jason!

Jay

After all the disparaging remarks you made about me I really appreciate your positive comments about the product I designed and manufactured. You're fortunate to have an original loupe that came out of my factory. It's a shame the copy doesn't meet my high standards. Sad that it took over 5 months to copy my original design.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Comparetto View Post
    HI Jean,

Thanks for the great review. I really appreciate your attention to detail.

Now I'd like to respond to your concerns:

1) You stated many times that there was no communication, but my records show that I sent out emails once a month since May updating everybody that ordered one. I apologized many times regarding the wait and offered many opportunities to get a refund. Perhaps my emails were going into your spam folder?

2) The "residue" on the set screw is actually by design. This is called a "locking element" which holds the screw in place and creates friction so that it is not over-tightened, and prevents damaging the monitor. If it bothers you then I can send out set screws without the locking element, but you may risk over-tightening the bracket.

3) The lubricant on the diopter adjustment is to maintain a smooth even turn. Many lenses have a lubricant of some type to facilitate smooth adjustments. If it bothers you then I can send you out a diopter without any lubricant.

4) If you would like to downgrade to the rubber eyecup from the previous generation just send me a request by email (I have not received any emails from you). I will send you one right away.

5) The light leak can be sealed by simply turning the 4 adjustment set screws on the back of the monitor. That's mainly what they are there for.
    It also states this in the installation video at 2:59. Please watch the installation video:
    http://vimeo.com/39893876

6) The rubber spacers for the monitor might come off if you slip them on and off many times. The idea was to design these brackets to be left on the monitor indefinitely. They protect the monitor and allow for additional functionality. The installation video states this as well, at around 3:07. If you plan on removing the brackets many times, then I will send you out more rubber spacers so you don't have to worry about that.

7) I can see the imperfections on the Carbon Fiber. Please return the unit and I will ship you out another one. I can't tell exactly from the picture why that's there, but I want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. I will do everything I can to help you.

Thanks again for the review Jean.

THE RESIDUE WILL NOT PREVENT THE SCREWS FROM BEING OVER TIGHTENED AND DAMAGING THE MONITOR

TIGHTENING THESE SCREWS TO CORRECT A LIGHT LEAK CAUSED BY IMPROPER CONSTRUCTION AS SHOWN IS ILL ADVISED AND COULD RESULT IN A DAMAGED DISPLAY

In response to Jean's critique:

As the designer and manufacture of the original product from which this poor iteration was copied I'd like to weight in on your concerns.

I created the original version of this product in an abbreviated design cycle (weeks not months) while I was busy designing and manufacturing a host or RED specific parts including a camera cage (Cloud) which my former business partner continues to pass off as his own. To call this process rushed is an understatement. My goal was to create a high quality product to fulfill a pressing need in the RED community. With an additional half year of product development Jason has managed to create a close copy with two questionable improvements. The significant new flaws affecting his copy (and not my original incarnation) are pathetic.

The new eye cups strike me as a cheap ($5) ill fitting replacement for a proper, pricey ($30) molded silicon rubber eye piece. None of my customers demanded a different eye piece. They did demand Jason return their money and answer their correspondance for months on end.

The seamless carbon fiber shell is the result of molding the hoods in a cheap composite mold instead of a dedicated two piece mold machined from billet aluminum and painstakingly polished to perfection. Rest assured my version is one piece carbon fiber (abeit with evidence of mold seams on either side). The imperfections and blotchy look to the carbon fiber shell he's using is likely the result of insufficient molding pressures and a compromised mold most likely molded off my original carbon fiber hood.

The mystery "locking element" on the 4 allen screws on the mounting brackets is indeed a sort of locktite to prevent the allen set screws from unscrewing.

THIS RESIDUE WILL NOT PREVENT THE SCREWS FROM BEING OVERTIGHTENED AND DAMAGING THE MONITOR.

TIGHTENING THESE SCREWS TO CORRECT A LIGHT LEAK CAUSED BY POOR CONSTRUCTION LIKE ON THE SCOPE DEPICTED IS ILL ADVISED AND COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE DISPLAY

These four screws were incorporated in the design merely to compensate for the odd display which as a result of production tolerances might be significantly thinner than typical. Judicious tightening of the screws could compensate for RED's own production tolerances but I hae yet to see an instance where a user has had to touch them in order to attain optimum fit. This is a testament to the quality of RED products.

The rubber pads are an admittedly poor design which is workable for users who mount the assembly brackets to the display permanently. I prep the part surfaces for optimum bond strength but an improved design with encapsulated rubber pieces would be a necessity if you plan on constantly installing and removing the brackets. No prep work appears to be used on this copy.

The light leak Jean is seeing is attributed to poor assembly and possibly a distorted trim bracket. I got around these issues by a developing an assembly fixture and a slick assembly process that Jason was not privy to.

AGAIN, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TIGHTEN THE SCREWS ON THE BACK OF THE DISPLAY TO CORRECT A LIGHT LEAKAGE SITUATION. YOU RISK DAMAGING THE DISPLAY.

I would expect significant wiggling on Jason's copied loupe because he left out a relevant machining operation to avoid the use of a specialized cutter. The wiggling condition on his product is further aggravated by the large machining burr on the underside of the latch piece that rests against the stainless steel mounting rod. A recess on my design which creates two distinct mounting points for a defined attachment and the omission of this detail reflects an obvious ignorance about how the latch is designed to function.

I appreciate all the positive comments about my products. An enormous amount of work, time, and infrastructure has been invested in creating these accessories. Please note I designed and manufactured the following Cinema Oxide accessories (pre split in March 2012)

1. Epic-to-Bottom Plate Adaptor
    2. Epic Battery Plate Adaptor + Pin Guard
    3. Epic Top Mount
    4. Epic to Element Technica Riser Plate
    5. Brick Back Plate for Epic + Scarlet
    6. Anton Bauer Adaptor Plate for Epic + Scarlet
    7. The Cloud
    8. Carbonite Scope

Note the lack of new products in the months following my departure.

At this time I am designing accessories for other cinema cameras to be sold through a legitimate camera parts distributor.

David Munz
    Munz Machine LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Munz View Post
    I bought these Pittsburg torx wrenches at Harbor Freight for only $12....

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-98523.html
    Wow..
    Just ordered.
    Thank David
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

David can you please take this fight to court where is belongs and get it off this forum? Really, it just makes both of you look like idiots.

If Jason is the horrible thief you say he is, then you should be able to win a lot of money in court, but seriously I could care less either way.

If Jason's product is a rip off, and you can prove it, then I have no doubt you should be able to get an injunction to stop him from selling it.

Jumping up and down on here telling everyone how horrible he is just makes you look like a strange person with a grudge.

Seriously, take this fight outside man. The people on here can decided if something is good or not without the vendor's help..

It's the purpose of the forum after all.

Jay