Thread: Epic & old glass

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I have always LOVED the look of old glass on an Epic. So glad we picked up those vintage Leica rehoused lenses...can't wait to try them out next month when I get a chance to shoot again.

Love this Thread Gunleik, will post some stuff too.
    Great Images... Intersting looks, lenses are like wine... diferent tastes, different bouquet's.
    Cheers from Brazil
    Raphael Varandas
    DCINE Digital Cinema
    Cameras, Glasses, Post Solutions on Set and a GREAT coffee ;)

SAO PAULO-BRASIL +5511.55498419 (Office)
    +5511.9990DCINE +55119970DCINE ( Mobile's)

MONSTRO Storm Trooper
    MONSTRO CF
    HELIUM's CF
    GEMINI OG #013
    GEMINI

SUMMICRON C SET
    SUPERSPEEDS MKII
    UP and more...

www.dcine.tv

raphael@dcine.tv
    atendimento@dcine.tv

Here are a couple shots from my Leica R 135mm.
    Attached Images

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Oh man.... Now youre speaking my language......

A repost from Toia's thread.... My epic is out working hence no footage at the moment... But when it comes back on tuesday, i am gonna shoot some fun stuff this week.

In order clockwise starting from the upper right:

1: 135mm Telisar F4.5 - Has the most bizzare halo, which when flaring turns into a ghostly bright spot in the middle.
    2: 58mm Helios 44-2 F2.0 - My shining little star. Perfect portrait length, with a stunning vignette, softness while maintaining enough of the good resolution, and the most beautiful yet bizzarre bokeh i've found to date. Looks like a Dream.
    3: Soligor 2x M42 Tele extender, amplifies the flaws in each of the lenses, while turning each lens into 2. The medium wides become tele, and the tele lenses become super Tele.
    4:Asahi Super Takumar "Yellow Glass" 28mm F3.5. This lens is the famous radioactive Super Tak. Its elements are yellow, however it doesn't seem to turn the image yellow. It is sharp and has a very slight barrel distortion wich makes it feel wider than it is. Very interesting looking with architecture. The best part......the flares are ACID yellow, HUGE, Pentagonal, but without a major loss in contrast. This is one of my favorite lenses ever.
    5: Rikkenon 50mm F2.8 - This odd little lens has a ghostly low contrast veiling flare. Wide open, It seems to diffuse the light in the lens, which makes it feel like there is a net behind the lens, or a heavy promist filter in play. Stop down to a F5.6 and it cleans up nicely.
    6:Asahi Super Takumar "Yellow Glass" 50mm F2.0 - Another of my favorites. Not as Flare happy as the 28mm, but is VERY sharp, but still has a certain intangible beautiful quality to it.
    7: Zenitar MNP-24M 35mm F2.0 - I dont know much about this lens, but its an old Zenitar. It has classis 1970's feel, the lens is very classically bad. Soft corners, veiling flare, and hazy look wide open.
    8: Sankyo Koki "Tokyo Kumara" 105mm F3.5 - This lens is quite cool, scary sharp, relatively neutral, but has 16 oddly shaped iris blades, so its bokeh resembles a mix between the Cooke S4/iPanchro flower, and the Panavision Buzzsaw bokeh from 25 years ago on the old Primos. I like this lens as it behaves well in the traditional sense, but has that weird bokeh.... always a reminder....
    9: Zenitar Jupiter-9 85mm F2.0 - This is another rather interesting lens. Its optical qualities are just bizzare, neither sharp nor consistent, what it lacks in perfection it makes up for in character. Extremely contrasty, it stands out from the crowd because unlike most old lenses, it has a VERY deep and rich contrast and color rendition, so it appears very sharp at first glance, but it has some of the oddest donut shaped bokeh, and out of focus image rendition. Its bohek looks almost in focus.... like it was artificially done in post, with a instagram "donut" gimmick.

In additon to this i have a 1908 f5.0 Wollensak Cinevelostigmat, hand crank camera lens. its awesome. You can check it out here: http://timurcivan.blogspot.com/2010/...thing-new.html

I'm going to be shooting something with it on Epic as soon as i can. Dying to give it a whirl.
    Director Of Photography
    RED Weapon Helium - Gemini
    --Official Sigma Pro--
    www.TimurCivan.com
    Timurcivan@gmail.com

I have an old Taylor Hobson 8-24mm 16mm zoom that has Thorium glass elements, it has turned sort of brownish yellow. I have read that you can reduce the brown cast by putting such lenses out in the sun for a few hours. The UV radiation clears them up supposedly. Haven't tried it , but mine has gotten significantly yellower in dark storage, so there may be something to it.

Love the looks of those old lenses.

The Angie

Postgrain added...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Angie...

Greed on the term implying "bad", just a precaution as there has been so many discussion centring around "perfect" glass and the highest possible resolution and precission as the ultimate goal.

TYhis thread just has the oposite perspective:

What is fun with imperfections

As a far from perfect person myself, I find it releving that imperfections can contribute to what I consider beautifull...

LOL

my complete set of rehoused cooke s2/3 series 2000 - is very popular here in Scandinavia amongst a handful of high-end DP's.... So youre not the only ones liking vintage glass:)
    Sidney Lexy Plaut, DFF
    Director of Photography
    www.sidneylexyplaut.com

Maybe a little bit off-topic because it relates to the 'older' Red one and 'shitty' lenses.

I shot 'Land of the Heroes' on a (very old) set of arriflex Schneider Kreuznach prime lenses (18mm,28mm,40mm,50mm,75mm and 2X extender). It won a total of 14 international awards and is still going strong, among them some really big ones like Berlinale, Bussan, Dubai, Kingbonn,...

I love the lenses so much I am shooting the new short film on the same set.

reduser link here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ion-in-Iraq%29

I also shot this music video on the same set and a Angenieux 12-240mm (16mm lens) for the zooms.

Reduser link: http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....explosions-%29

I really like the combination of a new sensor design and very old lenses for certain projects.
    Kobe Van Steenberghe
    "No worries, only rockin'!"

a team productions BVBA
    Office @ Brussels (Belgium)

www.ateamproductions.be