Thread: DCP encoder + player NEW

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hello all,
    thank you for response.
    First of all, we will have player, totaly finished product less than 4 months, some testing maybe before. Yes, some encoders are out today, more-less good, therefor our first look is into good player. I keep you updated about release, maybe it will be sooner. Our encoder will follow the player.
    peter
    PS: FinalDCP is for unencrypted content only...
    Last edited by Peter Nevedal; 08-13-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Joost Kelderman View Post
    I've been looking into other software and found FinalDCP, at the pricepoint you people are aiming; I think they are the competition to have look at. looks like a good and streamlined application; will know more after I tested it. been playing around with OpenDCP as well; since it is free and as such a good starting point for independent filmmakers. I've been exporting from adobe and so far so good. will be testing the results in local theaters beginning next week

OpenDCP takes a bit more knowledge than FinalDCP and will take more preparation from you since it will allow for less formats for input. OpenDCP does however support stereoscopic, has seperate tab for subtitles, does houseID [in the title generator] and I made a DCP with it yesterday.. will have to test it on a server on monday

OpenDCP does JPEG2000 encoding [allowing logartihmic TIFF], MXF wrapping, RGB/XYZ conversion, MXF wrapping and from that DCP creation both 2K and 4K and quite some different framerates
    FinalDCP does so as well but allows input from i.e. Prores, Avid etc. basically drag and drop much more fun when you don't understand everything
    there is to know both seem to lack encryption/key management. both seem to lack Player, but FinalDCP has rumored to have announced one in the
    near future

links:
    http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/
    http://www.magnamana.com/products/finaldcp/

has anyone worked with FinalDCP? it seems pretty nifty, is a very recent product and it supports mutliple rendernodes. been asking them questions about cuda/openCL and I'm waiting
    for my 'free' license to test it. will probably buy the Pro license if it works
    I have just tried the Mac version couldn't get it to render 1 email sent to the company they sent a new link and it worked straight away very easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harding View Post
    I have just tried the Mac version couldn't get it to render 1 email sent to the company they sent a new link and it worked straight away very easy!
    Hi Paul,

you are welcome :)

While FinalDCP is still in its infancy, we are adding more and more features, many of them unheard of in most other DCP encoding packages.

We can convert directly from various format such as RED R3D, DNxHD, ProRes, CineForm, Edius HQX MOV, DPC, TIFF, JPEG2000, JPEG2000-MXF and many more into a DCP. We also allow on-the-fly rate conversion from 23.976 to 24 or 25 to 24 etc. Its drag'n'drop and we have a FREE Edition that you can test drive.

We do also support multi-threading and network wide multi-processing using a very simple to use render farm approach, so we can go well beyond realtime performance, depending on your computer systems. Its for MAC and PC.

We are currently implementing several nice features, such as cropping, scaling, color pre-compensation (to enhance the contrast of material, especially when it has some flaws such as having it legalized twice etc.). A new strongly enhanced public build is expected before IBC.

Take a look here: http://www.magnamana.com or here http://www.magnamana.com/products/

Cheers,
    Axel

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed El Sharqawy View Post
    I think a subtitling tool is a unique feature for a DCP application
    Subtitling creation shouldn't be the responsibility of a DCP program, aside from packaging it into the DCP from a standard DCI compliant format. There are tools designed specifically for subtitling which are going to give you the best results. An example is Annotation Edit, which will export to both CineCanvs and SMPTE subtitle formats. I haven't tried the SMPTE titles myself, but have been told it works with OpenDCP. There is also an opensource subtitle program, Subtitle Edit, that can do CineCanvs and probably SMPTE if somebody asked the author.

http://www.zeitanker.com/content/too...nnotation_edit

http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/

Maybe I'm stubborn, but I don't think distribution type tools should mix functionality with production/editing features.

Terrence, i think you are right,
    in our DCP player, we are preparing some revolutionary things in the future, but its about distribution and staff around ;o) more about this, when we put out first version ;))

http://www.magnamana.com
    I am trying to use final DCP and
    I also cannot get render
    I also wonder why a 25fps has to be converted to 24fps, could we have the choice, letting the original speed ?
    Jean-Luc LEON
    albumprod@gmail.com

Hi Jean-Luc,

have you started all three apps, the RenderManager, RenderNode and FinalDCP?

Which OS are you running on?

25fps is part of the "new" SMPTE standart. We will support that soon. We have hold back, as actually by far not all theaters will be able to play 25p DCPs and therefor users are clearly going to run into problems when doing so "blind". You usually have to make two DCPs then to be compatible with all theaters. However, the base is growing and the player vendors do their best to resolve the situation. So yes, SMPTE will be there soon.

We will soon announce the latest road-map with lots of new functions such as encryption, preview, cropping, scaling, color-precompensaition (required for contrast enhancement), potentially new formats, analysis, sound processing etc.

Please contact us via email if you have any problems: sales@magnamana.com because asking here in RED USER is OK, but I can't follow all threads in all forums out there and might miss to answer then. If you need support, just contact us directly.

Cheers,
    Axel

Alex,

What is your best estimation as to when the DCP Player will be available (even as a beta version)?

Thanks,
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/

Hello All,
    some info for you. We are hard working on the player, it is on very good way. :o)
    I hope soon i can give you time calculation + function calculation...
    Peter N