Thread: DCP encoder + player NEW

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Mertes View Post
    Btw, I just got asked if we will support SDI output? The answer is yes, we aim at supporting Blackmagic Design and potentially AJA SDI cards. It will not work out of the box, but we have tons of these and there are many reasons why this makes a lot of sense to us (and others too, of course).

Cheers,
    Axel
    SDI support i crucial to screen it back ( QC) . What do you mean when you say "it will not work out of the box"?

thanks

g

Just sent a request to Beta.
    Paul Lee | 42 Productions | Boulder, Colorado | www.42productions.com
    2x EPIC with PL, Canon and Leica Mounts, 1x RED ONE

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Turchi View Post
    SDI support i crucial to screen it back ( QC) . What do you mean when you say "it will not work out of the box"?

thanks

g
    Hi Gabriele,

I mean that SDI support will likely not be in a first version of the player, however its planned for a later release. The good point is that there is already SDK experience with the BMD stuff at hand, so its not that much out of reach at all. Its just a matter of priorities.

Cheers,
    Axel
    Axel Mertes, CTO/Founder
    Magna Mana, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, www.MagnaMana.com
    RED ONE-MX#110, EPIC-X#1235

Thanks axel ,
    Look forward , in my opinion SDI play out is a minimum requirement , otherwise you are forced to screen a movie (or whatever the content it is ) on a computer monitor Ethernet big screen projector or big plasma ..

g

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Turchi View Post
    Thanks axel ,
    Look forward , in my opinion SDI play out is a minimum requirement , otherwise you are forced to screen a movie (or whatever the content it is ) on a computer monitor Ethernet big screen projector or big plasma ..

g
    I agree with the SDI out. We have Kona cards in every system and it would smart to design the software to utilize the power in those cards (or BMD cards) to help with DCP playback. Since these card are good at scaling it seems like it would be easy to get them to scale 2k down to 1080.

I think we will do BMD cards first. However, we will get there, step by step.

See the other thread about some news.

The player is pretty close!!!
    Axel Mertes, CTO/Founder

Dear colleagues,

I am new with FinalDCP, please help me :
    - What do mean two (L and R) green buttons for Video in "Reels" section?
    - How I can/must operate with them?
    - When I put 5 reels (ProRes4444, 2048x1080, 25fps) and try to render DCP, FinalDCP renders the second reel first and stops on the first one. Warning: "RenderProcessV2 quit unexpectedly", is appearing. Also "QT DEBUG:ERROR: "Process closed connection" is written in Log. However, I can render each reel separately, one by one - FinalDCP can create a DCP from single reel.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ihor Podolchak; 03-14-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Mertes View Post
    ...The player is pretty close!!!

"Are we there yet?" said my son...
    Luis Otero

Colorist - Motion pictures painter..

Epic-X #1616 (Old Red One 711)
    I was scammed, and I love it...!

Digital Emulsion -
    Orlando, FL

IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm3889059/

Quote Originally Posted by Ihor Podolchak View Post
    Dear colleagues,

I am new with FinalDCP, please help me :
    - What do mean two (L and R) green buttons for Video in "Reels" section?
    - How I can/must operate with them?
    - When I put 5 reels (ProRes4444, 2048x1080, 25fps) and try to render DCP, FinalDCP renders the second reel first and stops on the first one. Warning: "RenderProcessV2 quit unexpectedly", is appearing. Also "QT DEBUG:ERROR: "Process closed connection" is written in Log. However, I can render each reel separately, one by one - FinalDCP can create a DCP from single reel.

Thank you.
    Some quick notes:

- The buttons at L&R tell you that both eyes will see this video track. For Stereo 3D you just need to drag and drop the right eye video file/sequence onto the already imported left eye video track (filename field). It will add a second track (not a second reel!) directly below the left eye video track. On the right side in the L/R columns you can then alter the eyes by clicking on the buttons.

- Select your video track and press “e” key. It will open the visual editor. Top left is the source + histogramm, top right is the target X’Y'Z’ processed image, back converted according the selected target color space in the very top right pulldown menu. Currently there default is a preset for colorspace using REC709 full range source “Full Range Safe” conversion. This one limits the target brightness to the lowest common possible in the X’Y'Z’ space. You can also change source gamma (default is 2.2) as in europe many colorists use 2.35 or 2.4 as gamma for REC709 encoding. You can also select the proxy resolution for both previews in the pulldown on the top of the left preview window.

- When you want to import non-embedded audio as individual seperate files and need a speed change (such as from 23.976->24 or 25->24), then please double click in the “Source FPS” coloumn of each audio track. It will change into a pulldown menu and you can select its source speed. So FinalDCP will now when you have 25fps source speed that it will slow down to 24fps during conversion. We do this conversion without pitch correction, as there is no pitch conversion algorithm that is equally good for music, singing, speech and sound effects. Many of those introduce audio artefacts. So we decided against it and use just waveform speedup or slowdown, changing pitch but introducing no artefacts.

- Audio is currently only supported at 48KHz and 96KHz. Please avoid using 44.1KHz audio.

Player Beta will start *very* soon.

However, we will launch another product this week, a faster RenderNode on a professional speed level.
    You will all be able to test it probably during this week, as it will come with the FREE Edition for testing as well. I run 4K encodings at nearly double realtime (>40fps) on my small 10 nodes farm. I can do 2K 3D HFR in faster than realtime now (>130fps).

So stay tuned. Everyone who has send an email will be informed the moment we start. No one will be left out as of now!

Cheers,

Axel
    Axel Mertes, CTO/Founder

Dear Axel,
    Thanks a lot for your explanation.

One problem remains:
    - I drag and drop 5 reels (ProRes4444, 2048x1080, 25fps, embedded audio) and start to create DCP, FinalDCP processes the second reel first and stops when try to process the first reel. Warning: "RenderProcessV2 quit unexpectedly" is appearing. Also "QT DEBUG:ERROR: "Process closed connection" is written in Log.

I thought that something wrong with a video file - the first or another reel. But tests showed that each file/reel could be separately rendered in DCP.
    Does it mean that FinalDCP can process only one reel?

Thank you,
    Ihor