Thread: The race to the bottom is on

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The race to the bottom is on 
    Brighton- UK mostly but Im a global citizen :-)
    I've just seen the start of the race to the bottom and a company renting out scarlet packages for $1250 a week? Why would anyone do that? What good can possibly come of devaluing the price of your kit that much. I've seen Epics go for $100 a day. Come on people wake up and smell the coffee. I'm all for free enterprise but not blatent foolishness where no one benefits from the long term effects of such short sighted short term thinking. I'm not surprised . I'm just sad. I left the stills industry as I saw its demise by similar short term opportunists and it's all set to happen all over again with moving images. It would be nice if we could learn from the demise of the stills industry.
    Last edited by Jon Nash; 06-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    JON NASH VISUALS
    Twitter @JonnyTheNash
    http://www.jonnash.com

Did it include glass? How much glass?

The race to the bottom started years ago, but it has been getting worse lately. It's inevitable given the barriers to enter this industry have never been lower nor the worldwide economy so fragile.
    I make stuff.
    www.liamhall.net

Well, $1250/week for Scarlet actually sounds quite reasonable to me.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

I'm sure much the same conversation was had over at Arri when Red announced the pricing of the Epic and Scarlet.
    If it makes 'business sense' to them, then more power to them
    Scarlet-X #119 'Ginger'

Was this from an actual rental house? A good deal on a much less capable camera, the EX3 with memory cards and a tripod is in this range as well...
    In my market, that's about the day rate for an M1 package (glass, support, ff, mattebox, monitor)...
    Not sure you can rent a Scarlet from the production houses here.. they seem to have mostly gone Epic..

Heard in the UK, London specifically there is a Scarlet package for 400 quid WITH canon glass

Really crazy...

We're renting for slightly higher then that for friends and slightly more then what we give our friends + canon glass so the 400 is pretty much a killer for those looking to rent Scarlet first time...

A lot of referrals and good first time service seems to be the only trick these days

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nash View Post
    It's an insult to Jim and just make no economic sense to anyone?
    It's no insult to Jim or RED it's what happens when you make a fantastic product. There are places I can rent a new Cadillac Escalade for that.

In the race to the bottom I have seen a post by a place renting Epic X packages as low as $150 per day. That's just nuts!!! My AF100 rents for more than that. Sad times indeed.

Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    It would be very useful if there was a monitoring body that controlled RED rental prices based on geographic location, availability and packages...it would be nice.
    MARCOS MONTENEGRO
    K'ASUNEL STUDIOS
    Based in Baltimore / travel worldwide
    DP, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER, AUDIO PRO

Epic-M Dragon 02984 "LA LEYENDA"