Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Scarlet Buying Guide

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nice! Great job on this. There are a lot of things on their website which can be quite confusing if you don't know what they do.

I just wanted to add that I use the Zacuto EVF with my Scarlet and it works very well. I also use there Scarlet baseplate that also works very well. Of course these are probably not as good as having Red parts but if you are on a budget it will work (and well)

I also am using globalmediapro batteries. They also work well (I'm using the AB mount) but you only get the voltage readout, not percentage (at least with the ones I bought - I think you can spend more and get that functionality)

I also added a Wooden Camera battery plate, quickback and AB plate + their Safety Nato (150 mm) on top for adding additional items.

BTW my old Betacam Rainjacket works well on my Scarlet rig.
    Producer, Cinematographer, Adobe/Avid Editor, Musician/Composer
    EPIC 5890
    YYC

AdvanceHD Video Productions 4K / 5K
    IMDB
    YouTube.com: AdvanceHD

Fixed! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andi Loor View Post
    Two small issues. DSMC is a way to separate Epic and Scarlet cameras from the Red One camera.
    Tokina is making a 11-16 mm zoom not 11-18 mm
    Best regards
    Andi

And I thought it was I alone having problems deciding on RED parts and accessories I needed !! Still researching so this write up comes at a great time and will be very useful for me. Thanks a million Mark!

You are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Oje Unuigboje View Post
    And I thought it was I alone having problems deciding on RED parts and accessories I needed !! Still researching so this write up comes at a great time and will be very useful for me. Thanks a million Mark!

If you wrote a comprehensive book on the epic / scarlet system, I'd buy it.

I wish I had the time. I am probably going to start a wiki and let people contribute to it so we can all build a comprehensive guide together.

I have setup a wiki for anything red at www.redography.com. My hope is that users can create entries that discuss everything from options to craft to workflow and more.
    Producer, Cinematographer, Adobe/Avid Editor, Musician/Composer
    EPIC 5890
    YYC

AdvanceHD Video Productions 4K / 5K
    IMDB
    YouTube.com: AdvanceHD

Hey Mark, this is a great resource for someone like me researching to assemble a budget-scarlet package. Thanks for taking time out for the community. Its greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Quick Question - using Canon lenses on the Scarlet - what is the best way for remote focus control? And will a FF unit interfere with the autofocus? Can a rack focus be pre-programed manually? Thanks for any help in understanding these issues.
    Steve Sanacore
    Photographer/Director/DP
    www.stevesanacore.com

Great post Mark. You could edit the "control" section with a little more info. I am interested to know if the Redmote and the DSMC Side handle will give you ALL the controls over the camera that you will get with the 5" touchscreen?
    I figure a lot of people like me already have existing EVFs or LCDs and might save some money if we can get the same control with the any of the two optional controllers.
    Scarlet #2986 "Annika" for hire in Hong Kong / Asia / happy to travel anywhere!
    www.kinomagic.net
    Film production - Cinematography - Directing - Editing
    CINEMATOGRAPHY SHOWREEL