Thread: Smallest Phatom power micro for the epic scarlet ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Smallest Phatom power micro for the epic scarlet ? 
    Last edited by Madjid El ayari; 10-02-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    PHOTOGRAPHY DOP SCENARIST

www.madjidelayari.com

The Tiny Mike needs either 5V or 48V phantom power to work, so if that hasn't been enabled on the Scarlet yet, you'll either need an external 48V power supply or a self-powered microphone.

Size-wise, the Sennheiser MKE-400 or the Rode Videomic are roughly the same size as the Tiny Mike and power off of internal 9V or AA batteries.

If you want a step-up in quality, then look at the Rode NTG-2 or the venerable Sennheiser K6/ME66 (or ME64).
    Mike Paul
    Technical Director
    Location Sound Corp.

You don't say what you're accustomed to running or what specific features you're looking for, but the Rode NTG1 is what I'm planning to use. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...indshield.html
    My Rode NTG2 w/battery power has been a great ambient environmental recording device mounted on my Scarlet so far, but the NTG1 is 2.5 inches shorter at 8.5 inches, and now that I won't have to worry about batteries anymore :) I think it's just the right size.

That Tiny Mic looks pretty interesting, it gets good reviews for sound quality. I looked at it a while back, but for my use I have to use better wind protection than a foam sleeve and fur. Since it's so "tiny" I couldn't locate a small but really effective wind shield.
    Best, Jeff
    Epic-X #5585 - Amphibico Rouge Underwater Housing
    www.jeffwhitehurst.com
    Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
    - Albert Einstein