Thread: Cineform Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Cineform Question 
    Hi

Does cineform works with EPIC and latest color science ? Redcolor 3 and RG3 and epic footages ?

Thanks
    Rivai

Just opened a ticket w/ Cineform to see what the plans are for support of REDColor3/REDGamma3. As far as I can tell, Cineform still only specifies compatibility with RED ONE.

Cineform says, "ReMaster converts RED Epic and Scarlet files, but no we have not reverse engineered RED's color science and RED does not provide an easy way for us to do so. So instead of transferring any in-camera looks or settings, ReMaster converts the file to a CineForm RAW file...taking the image directly from the camera's sensor."

Not sure about the flexibility of CF RAW.... When I transcode into CF, there is no where the latitude to grade that the original RED file has in REDCINE-X. I MIGHT not be doing it correctly, however.

David Cole
    www.beampath3d.com

Thanks David

Just realized your reply on this thread.

Yep..same thing, just try it as well. The DR is lost

RV

i have to do a final test...but I may have a LUT that should match redgamma3 for cineform....
    just finished testing the creation workflow last night
    RED #1198, EPIC-X #480

Mike - any news on the LUT? Are you using ReMaster into a CF RAW clip? Which CF debayer option are you using?

Thanks,

David

My process is a bit convoluted...RedCine-X out as Trim...into PP CS6 where it is exported as Cineform MOV...open Firstlight and reimport the MOV to CS6...all of the changes and LUT applications are seen in CS6 .... on top of the previous REDCine-X grade. I then output to final clip desired....do not use ReMaster at all...

Bob

sorry been busy.....just testing it with cineform now....will post an update soon
    RED #1198, EPIC-X #480

Quote Originally Posted by RivaiC View Post
    Hi

Does cineform works with EPIC and latest color science ? Redcolor 3 and RG3 and epic footages ?

Thanks
    Rivai
    I am not sure if CineForm itself does support the latest features, but we have implemented a lot of tools around CineForm, including our FinalDCP DCP encoding software. We do support all the latest SDK functions including RED Color 3 etc.
    We will at some point release our network enable bulk conversion tool, that can transcode EPIC footage in realtime or faster using multiple machines, purely via software (no RED ROCKET required) and with the great quality of Graemes deBayer.

If you have interest in this, please let me know. We will soon release details about our enhance VFX workflow using CineForm and DPC (aka. DPX-C) files.

Cheers,
    Axel