Thread: US to Canada- What do I need at Customs

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 US to Canada- What do I need at Customs 
    Traveling to Canada from LAX for a shoot this Sunday with my Epic package. Do I need any forms or documents to clear Customs? Do I need to pay duties or taxes? Would love to put out any fires before I get to LAX. Any help would be much appreciated.

Passport (preferably your own)

This depends in what you are shooting. C

Travel with copies of receipts to go back to US to avoid those sticky questions, what is this and HOW do i know you bought it in the usa.....this if you are not doing a carnet. i keep a file of receipts on EVERYTHING when traveling....many times i WILL NOT use it or show it to the customs folks on the end i visit, but DO use it on the end (USA) when returning to prove it's not from another place and US customs detains me or puts me on their "list"---but been there done that many times and i'm on the "list" now.
    Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

Do you have a work visa to shoot in Canada? If not you may be turned around at the border. You need to have a work visa to work in Canada, just as Canadians need to have a work visa to work in the US.

I doubt a Carnet will help, to be honest. Productions are required to hire local crew unless Visas are involved. Directors and producers are a different story, but if you are coming up with gear you can be turned around at the border no matter what your position is. I've seen it happen.

7. #7 Small correction 
    If you decide to get a carnet one US source is www.ATACarnet.com. They provide carnets for production crews all the time that are going overseas. They can do quick turnaround as well. http://www.atacarnet.com/film-video-...ment-and-tours BTW, I did have a friend turned back at the US-CA border recently since she was travelling for a training to CA and didn't have a work visa. They seem to be very strict on this. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Leslie August; 05-02-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: correction