Thread: PC User, best way to get usable files to an FCP editor?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PC User, best way to get usable files to an FCP editor? 
    Hi folks, title explains most of my question.. is there a good way for someone using a PC to transcode .r3d files for someone to cut in FCP? I've yet to see any intuitive way to transcode to prores outside of a Mac, which in this case I do not have access to. FCP folks, what other formats would be possible/preferable? I do have MacDrive so whatever I create, I can at least put onto an appropriate external drive.. I just am not sure what my options are here. I've got Premiere so perhaps that is my starting point? Thanks for your input.
    Scarlet #530 - "Daisy" || Epic #6012 - "Windswept"

Best option is probably the Cineform codec, which is platform agnostic but costs money for you to buy the encoder. The decoder is free so the mac guy wouldn't have to spend anything.

is this for online or offline?

fcp7 or the new one use quicktimes, so if this is for offline then send him quicktimes...

if its online i guess send him r3ds?

Cineform sounds like a nice option. If I were to go quicktimes any particular encoding settings you'd recommend?

EDIT: This will actually be online-- it needs to stand up for grading and the footage is being intercut with a 5D which I'm thinking will be transcoded to prores for the edit.

For offline, definitely H.264 movs if you're using Premiere to transcode. Much faster than Cineform as the graphics card will be part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Russell View Post
    For offline, definitely H.264 movs if you're using Premiere to transcode. Much faster than Cineform as the graphics card will be part of the equation.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Apologies, I had to edit my post, it is going to be online afterall.

Another option for transcoding on the PC side intended for Mac FCP, is download the new Avid LE codec package and go to DNxHD175 8bit 1080p in the .mov wrapper, since FCP will work with that natively. Its probably the most ubiquitous codec for both pc/mac users.
    I believe the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them. -Ansel Adams

Just finished principle photography on Killer Holiday with Red 137 MX. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWcJnlz2E0

www.invictusproductions.com

That sounds like a great suggestion, thank you for the tip! I assume transcoding to this format requires Avid? If so maybe I'll grab the trial from their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Wixom View Post
    Another option for transcoding on the PC side intended for Mac FCP, is download the new Avid LE codec package and go to DNxHD175 8bit 1080p in the .mov wrapper, since FCP will work with that natively. Its probably the most ubiquitous codec for both pc/mac users.

Alright I think I may have found another good solution, just figured this would be the best place to get feedback. If I were to use an outboard recorder, (in this case a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2) and set it to record in DNxHD Quicktime (so basically DNxHD in an .mov wrapper) that should be usable in final cut provided the editor downloads the free codecs from Avid.

I have confirmed that FCP can then handle it natively, I guess at this point I'm just wondering if there is functionally much difference between this and Prores, as they are both 422 and both run at 220Mb/sec, etc etc.. Obviously given the choice I'd want Prores, but is this an acceptable alternative? i.e. is it going to be sluggish on a <1 year old MBP?

Avid's DNxHD codecs are free. Search for Avid Codec Pack LE, and you will only need to install a small file and you'll now have all flavors of DNxHD available as MOV encode. I think your editor will need these codecs as well, but IMO this is the best way.
    Ryan Patch
    Stotytellers Ink, Ltd
    www.storytellersink.net

Fine visual storytelling & resources for fellow storytellers.