Thread: A Stereoscopic 3D Video Village with Sony’s HMZ-T1 Visor on Film Sets?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 A Stereoscopic 3D Video Village with Sony’s HMZ-T1 Visor on Film Sets? 
    How many of us in 3D film-making can identify with this familiar scenario:

A 46 inch 3D monitor on-location at a film set, with the Director and DP peering a few feet away, while behind them crew members try to block out excessive glare on the screen, and sometimes even fighting the heat (not all movies are shot on cool 21 degree celcius days).

Help is at hand from a gadget that is primarily aimed at the consumer market...

Read the rest on the Real Vision Knowledgbase: http://bit.ly/JuclWU

Regards,
    Clyde
    "Think in 3D"
    now out on Amazon
    Twitter:
    @cly3d

Well first I need to of course disagree strongly with their assessment and example, as it only applies to low budget and unprepared film sets... I always have a Black Out tent, so easy and fast to open up is silly any serious production would do with out, and this is were our DIT station and Director's monitor stay.

Now, having said that... It has great potential... ;)
    KETCH ROSSiF i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

I used to use HMDs for 3D preview on set back in the 1990's. It is not ideal for a number of reasons. Primary problem is that there is no easy way to gauge parallax or easily spot alignment issues. With a monitor you just flip up the glasses and you can see all kinds of very interesting information about your image. 46" monitor and a tent are still the better way to go.
    Jason Goodman
    CEO
    21st Century 3D
    http://www.21c3d.com
    jason@21stcentury3d.com
    @21C3D

I understand what you say guys :)
    I probably did not stress it enough as a point in the article, so I've edited the article to make it clearer, that Sony would need to offer two things for the device to be more useful for 3D crews

1) a 50-50 overlay mode
    2) A configurable OSD type parallax guide display that is user configurable in percentage increments.

As it stands of-course the device cant be used to judge "depth" because the two screens themselves can be slid side to side depending on user's eye spacing, in effect doing a HIT which would be wrong.
    But then again a true (compromise/estimate) of depth gauge on location can only be done on really big 3D screens on-location.

I'm looking at the biggest advantage of this device for near-camera crew on a shoot where it wont be practical to carry a 46 inch or bigger monitor (think rough, steep terrain).
    This portable device with just two of the features as mentioned above, would give the next best thing to using a big screen 3D monitor on set to near-camera crew.

Let's see.. maybe Sony notice the suggestions and do something!

For me, as someone who was literally a one man crew doing run-n-gun documentary shoots in 3D a long while ago, such a system would have been a blessing even if I had to carry an inverter in a backpack for power.

Cheers!