Thread: Random Audio Level Dropout...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Brian, you should contact Red support and take care of this. I'm positive this is a solvable problem. (But I do agree that the normal boot-up mode for the limiter should be off.)

Having said that, be aware that I'm a strong proponent for always recording audio separately, and syncing it up later on. But I say this about every digital camera. The only exception would be dangerous situations like war zones, hidden cameras, crime scenes, or a non-essential shoot like B-roll. For anything else: use a separate sound recorder for optimum results. But that goes for Alexa, Canon, Nikon, Panavision, Red, Sony, everything.
    Thanks Marc

I don't know what the changes will be in different builds. I will now always record a separate back-up. I might also use my RED one as the other recorder if needed; it is a workhorse. I know the RED ONE Audio but I do not know the Epic Audio as much. It has been Mic Level, recent changes to internal limiters. The old RED One might be one of the best on hand 4 channel 48khz audio recorders I have ever had!

Being a big RED One audio user starting with my camera #12. I have only had an issue regarding camera audio with Epic.

I'm sympathetic, Brian. I have faith that Red will eventually solve the problem, and I know they have their hands full covering video issues and shipping all the accessories first.

Even on modern audio recorders, we avail ourselves of all the backups whenever possible. All the pro recorders (Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Aaton Cantar, Fostex, Nagra, Tascam) have the ability to record to at least two different media formats simultaneously. It's been rare that I've needed the backup, but it happens. On quite a few shoots, I've also been rolling the built-in 2-track recorder in the Sound Devices 552 -- sort of the belt and double-suspenders technique. If it's a mission-critical shoot, giving yourself a safety net is a wise move.

Contact me through my website if you ever need some free advice; I'd be glad to help if I can.
    www.cinesound.tv | location sound / post-production consultant

I was getting this on an interview in one channel only. Very annoying. Luckily I was also recording on a second source.

I know the RED one had a built in limiter. What I don't get is why this one in the Epic sounds so bad? It kicks in at a really low level. I would never turn this on, it is very aggressive.

It is way too aggressive, more like a heavy handed compressor. A true limiter should just limit the recorded signal at 0dB (or preferably -6db), and not cut the signal by 20dB as it is doing currently.