Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: ACES...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 ACES... 
    We think the concept of ACES is a good one. Trying to create a single workflow that works with all camera options seems just fine to us. We are doing our best to help connect RED footage to the ACES program. The Academy is serious and committed to the ACES workflow... and we are too.

But... it is not ready yet to work with RED footage today. We strongly discourage anyone from using ACES in its current form to grade anything RED except test footage. It is critical that ACES is not considered a current solution for production quality work with RED footage.

We will do our best to change this... and we'll let you know as soon as we feel this option is ready.

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 04-18-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Good to know.
    Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Banned
    What's the reason?

4.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Currently there are significant artifacts in how ACES handles RED footage. We are working on supplying support to help them fix this issue... but as of today the artifacts make ACES unusable with RED footage for production.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Z View Post
    What's the reason?
    Last edited by Jannard; 04-18-2012 at 01:48 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

Disappointing, but good to see you address it. Who is the contact to speak to about this support?

(You can just send it to my email if you dont want to post it, zack at zack dot cc)
    Scarlet #03293
    Hydrogen Ti #1495

6.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Not sure what you want to talk about... it is not an option today for production. We are working with the ACES group to help them fix the issues. When it is good enough we will let you know. Promise.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Zack CC View Post
    Disappointing, but good to hear you talk about it. Who is the contact to speak to about this support?

(You can just send it to my email if you dont want to post it, zack at zack dot cc)
    Last edited by Jannard; 04-18-2012 at 02:08 AM.

I think people will be alright holding off on that after seeing everything you guys have released for NAB.

Don't sweat it. Life's too short to sweat.

Thanks for letting us know, Jim! Fingers crossed for getting stuff sorted out soon.

I'm doing some test RED stuff with ACES and it is awesome... but yes I did hit issues.

I have to say: I have personally had it with DPX files though. They just take up too much space! Internally I have moved everything over to EXR - even the non-ACES stuff.

Even if my color values are in 10-bit log, I'm storing it in an EXR file, which gives me wonderful compression options (lossless, slightly-lossy, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 sampling). My 4K EXR files are only a little larger than the original 2K DPX files were. Yay.

Indie folks are going to be crushed under the weight of 4K 48fps stereo file sizes if they stay in DPX, that's for sure. EXR is the future - and at the same time, going to standardized true linear float with well-defined wide color gamut makes much sense indeed!

So yes... EXR, ACES, RED. Awesome. Please!

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Yay, been waiting for this. The other thing I'd like to see is color profiles for the RED sensors for OpenColorIO.

Great update.

We haven't moved to ACES over her yet, because of issues and a mostly RED only source on the larger drama productions. But ACES was to me the most promising concept I have seen in a while, and we hope to move there as soon as it is a viable option.

Thanks for this public update on the subject!