Thread: mLOGICs mLINK R thunderbolt expansion chassis for Red Rocket

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    What's the actual difference between this and the sonnnet? I'm just curious because there hasn't been a ton of details on this closure it seems,

It looks great and its nice to know that it was built from the ground up for RR but what makes this better or an equal choice to the sonnet or even magma?

Size? Power?

Like i said, just curious - figured whilst we're waiting there should at least be some details :)

Quote Originally Posted by Imran Farouk View Post
    What's the actual difference between this and the sonnnet?
    You can have sonnet as soon as you in/call B and H (lol- juz' jokin' Farouk)
    Fo' Real... Sonnet is available (right now) and makin' me move forward without cryin'

Aaaaaa' Intel and their Thunderbolt licensing = 10Gbps channel... do the maths
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

What's the actual difference between this and the sonnnet? I'm just curious because there hasn't been a ton of details on this closure it seems,

It looks great and its nice to know that it was built from the ground up for RR but what makes this better or an equal choice to the sonnet or even magma?

Size? Power?

Like i said, just curious - figured whilst we're waiting there should at least be some details :)
    Just size, but at the expense of only having one slot.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    well in that case I guess I can blame Kwan for pushing me over the edge and buying a sonnet :P

The Magma is great but the size makes it suck for me travelling so much - at the same time - as awesome as the MLink will be, size and all - I'd probably jump on board whenever RED Rocket 2.0 drops (there has just got to be one somewhere around the corner...)

well in that case I guess I can blame Kwan for pushing me over the edge and buying a sonnet :P
    Yeah... Blame me (lol) ... but take a look ... my fans is barkin' (with MBPr) since early july (instead of waitin/cryin') you'd hear: wo..wo..wo..wo..wo..wo..wo..wo..wo..woof .... Sorry fellas, Couldn't Resist (lol)

My Extra slot & SSDssss are ready for Tempo SSD Pro

RED Rocket 2.0 drops
    I believe its called "BATTLE TEST" (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    One slot? Are you serious?
    and only 1-Year warranty?
    ExpressBox 3T 3 slots and 1 years warranty..
    My sonnet has 2 slot and 5 years warranty

Note: Thunderbolt is a bottleneck (10Gbps only), if when we have faster Thunderbolt, then the Magma is the better choice.

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

I'm with Kwan on this one. Having a mobile Rocket which I can swap between systems is awesome. The box is solid, transcodes are fast. I don't worry anymore about the delicacy of the Rocket's structure - it is well protected in the Sonnet box, and it should last a long time, since I won't ever have to push and pull on it, to remove it or replace it.

And I'm not waiting on Rocket 2.0 because we have no idea when we will see it (probably fairly soon, since I just dropped $3800 on this rig!). The Sonnet box is Rocket 2.0, it's seriously game-changing.

I know there has been a lot of academic debate on which of these boxes will run the best, but if the speed bottleneck is Thunderbolt, then they will likely all perform about the same. I like having the double lanes, not too big, not too small, just right. More flexible than the mLink prototype, less bulky than the Magma.

It's good to have choices. Although the only choice right now is the Sonnet. I waited a few months past the mLink initial release window, hoping like everyone else, for the smallest possible solution, but a job came up where I absolutely needed it and where it paid for itself. So glad I did - fastest return on investment ever.

I know a lot of you are interested in portability - but to me, losing the tower - now THAT'S portability....gaining a couple extra inches of enclosure box is nothing compared to what you gain by losing the tower. My new DIT station is a 27'' iMac with a 2K screen in a flight case. It screams. (To get Resolve and Premiere capability puts me back in the tower, since there is no way to enable CUDA acceleration on an iMac, currently, but for 99% of jobs, this is plenty of power).

I only really want the one slot because I want to keep one of my thunderbolt ports dedicated to the RR and the other for Raid etc. but I think the RR is a must for editing 5k on a laptop. 4k works great but 5k seems to be pushing the limits of my rMBP... dang it :)
    TEHBEN DEAN
    Cinematographer
    www.tehbendean.com
    Instagram

does the sonnet have a decent built in fan? from that internal casing shot..it looks like it does not. just curious.

@ Tehben Dean

shipping in october.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonaci Tran View Post
    does the sonnet have a decent built in fan? from that internal casing shot..it looks like it does not. just curious.