I think RED is giving us at least full motion with the same sensor-size that we do have now. I think it would be a bit strange to get a higher crop-factor with the new sensor. So, that might be 4.5k or 5k (i'm too lazy to do the math) with the framerate we have now at 4k. 6k stills are safe i think, but i hope for a more complete stills-mode then, the stuttering preview that we have now is not really fun to look at and to focus with. BTW, i don't understand why AF can't be enabled during recording in 5k. Enough about that, i still like shooting stills with Scarlet and its full sensor, but it's a mixed experience.
I expect a similar gap between EPIC and Scarlet like we have it now but i hope for 6k-motion. :)
What's the point?
It would keep the divide much like today, Epic is currently 5K and Scarlet 4K.
RED can't really sell 6K as a feature. When do you use 5K on a Scarlet-X....never..maybe once
I'd rather keep my MX sensor and just get new chips installed to at least make it a functional 5K camera with high frame rates at 4K then maybe Late 2013 get a Sensor Upgrade. Splitting it would be convenient for me but not sure how it'd pan out for Red.
Say if the Scarlet ends up doing 6k 30fps then no need to split it, at that point though the New Scarlet may cannibalize Epic rentals. There's a pretty big gap between Epic and Scarlet how will dragon change the distance?
It's gonna be interesting to see how this all pans out.
If they're putting a new sensor I'd like the benefit of using it's new resolution offering, 12fps would be a waste of great new technology.
What if the path for Scarlett was to upgrade to Epic? (of course paying the price, whichever that might be) Some sort of a red one to epic situation. What makes me think of this option is the fact that Scarlet would need a serious rehousing to get any upgrade, a rehousing that would, hardware wise, maybe have her become very close to Epic. This will be a serious investment in terms of money for the buyer, and in terms logistics for the manufacturer. So maybe for X amount of money there will be a direct route to the top, as a second option or something.
Also, if Scarlet were to go 5k 24 fps the gap between the two cameras would narrow somewhat, at least for regular speed jobs: a lot of Epic owners will be shooting 5k 24 fps because of lens covering issues (and it would still be an amazing upgrade, in terms of latitude, sensitivity, color rendition, etc). And so would Scarlett...
Far fetched and hard to tell at this point, just something that popped in my head as a possibility...
I bet red will announce their new electronic lenses we saw so long ago around the time the dragon upgrades start....this would solve many issues w/ coverage
So the question is: should you wait to buy a Scarlet with a 6k Dragon and at what price?? Will RED keep the current pricing and include a Dragon on all Scarlets going forward?? I really want to stop renting and get a Scarlet but SHOULD I WAIT?? I've always went by the theory DONT WAIT because there is always an upgrade and new model in the future.
I think a "Scarlet Dragon" sensor will offer double the resolution, besides a cleaner sensor. If it were $6K it would still be a value. I imgine the cost would be around $3-4K. I would like to see 48fps at 4K and 24fps at 5K.
Figure out your business model. Can you pay the camera off in a timely manner that suits you?
Some of the best features of any RED camera is the upgrade path, free firmware and an easier workflow.
Fortunately the Scarlet has less of a financial risk for me and allowed my company to purchase one to get into the "game".
As more clients as for it the sooner I pay it off (obviously) and migrate to an Epic.
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|