Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon...

Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    ... the sensors came back from fab better than expected (better than the poster ) and have exceed the capabilities of the original Dragon ASIC.
    I doubt that neither resolution or frame rate changed in the fab process... ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Spoiler alert! That's only good news.
    ++

Indeed. At least there is a legitimate engineering reason for delaying the release. Perhaps this will give you further time to optimize the heat output of the ASIC as well.

Will it be ready before production on THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 begins??? And that is is March i guess..
    i really want that movie to be shot on RED EPIC DRAGONs................

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Harreschou View Post
    Gee, what's left there then... I guess just little things like dynamic range, noise floor and color rendition... oh wait :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Unfortunately not.... New ASIC is being built to go along with the sensor remember, the sensors came back from fab better than expected (better than the poster ) and have exceed the capabilities of the original Dragon ASIC.

Re-Quoting you, as now I have also the joy of going to put also the EPIC Monochrome under the knife for the Dragon upgrade, can't wait... Even so EPIC MX sensor is surely capturing some insane images it self... So no rush really, just excited to see how the Dragon Flies and Spitting fire at night, now both in Color and Monochrome... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Z View Post
    Perhaps this will give you further time to optimize the heat output of the ASIC as well.
    That was the first thing that went through my head when Jarred announced the new ASIC. The 3 years since they designed the last ASIC is a lifetime in the tech world. Hardware gets faster and cooler so I think people who shoot a lot of interviews will be jumping for joy once Dragon is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik Harreschou View Post
    Actually I think it's highly likely frame rates will go up. From what Jim and Jarred have said it seems the ASIC and the chips in the camera are what determine framerates, not the sensor itself. Scarlet and Epic have the exact same sensor but it is the ASIC and chips in the Epic that allow it to have 10x faster frames per second.

I suspect the new ASIC will be MUCH cooler at 24fps and will probably be able to go well above 100fps @6k. No inside info, just a guess based on how far tech has advanced in the 2 - 3 years since the last ASIC was designed.

I just wish to use the HDR-X mode in a S35 area on Scarlet,no matter wich resolution

Senior Member Quentin Devillers's Avatar
    Hello,
    I would like to know one thing :
    When the Dragon will be released what will be the price of the Epic/Scarlet with the Dragon ? Will it stay the same or increase ?
    If my memory is good the price of the Red One didn't change when MX came out... isn't it ?

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin Devillers View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to know one thing :
    When the Dragon will be released what will be the price of the Epic/Scarlet with the Dragon ? Will it stay the same or increase ?
    If my memory is good the price of the Red One didn't change when MX came out... isn't it ?

Thanks !
    Red One went from $17,500 (M) to $25,000 (MX) for a new camera. You could upgrade you "M" to "MX" for $5,750, if I remember well. That's the actual price anyway...

The Dragon update will cost $6,000 for Epic. Price still unknown for Scarlet.