Thread: PELENG 8mm Fisheye

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    As Doug once told me, "the quality of any individual Peleng lens is a direct corollary to the amount of Vodka consumed at the factory that day."

Doug gets his lenses on a direct buy deal and hand picks them. Then he does some nice precision work in mounting them and making their accessories. You get what you pay for.

Maybe RAF delivers a great product too, I don't know. But I do know what Doug does. He's been around in the business for decades and has earned his degree of respect.

Mitch Gross
    Abel Cine Tech

That's real good to hear, Mitch. Yeah, he has a good solid background.

REDuser Sponsor
    Buyer beware with Pelang lenses. I got one from Long Valley equipment and at first it looked and worked great. Then I loaned it to a friend who shot a spec commercial with it and everything was out of focus. Come to find out the PL mount was not secured very well which allowed the backfocus to slip out. I had the mount re-done and now all is well. And if you need any work done on any piece of glass, let me suggest Paul Duclos in LA. He's amazing.

If there's a group buy to be had..... count me in.... also with the filter set.

Sorry to hear that, Chris. Did you contact Doug?

Got it Doc.

I'd be in too. Cool to have funky lenses as well as precision ones.
    One of my bigger regrets is that I did not buy a director friend's personal set of old-school Cooke primes that had the really good Century conversion to PL. All focused close, and were in great shape. Had the usual old-lens funkiness (anyone remember how YELLOW those 75mm's were?) and of course he wanted top dollar ($8500) which I thought was steep for a trick-lens set. If I want to shoot a film with a '70s-era vibe, I'd just rent a set.
    Still would have been a cool set to own, though.
    But I'd be down for a group buy.
    Cheers,
    Harry

FYI, although I assume you've already seen it, I started a separate group buy thread to alert anyone interested (who may not have opened this thread).

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7955

If you haven't put in your group-buy "aye" over there, would you mind shooting a quick reply so we can keep it all in one place? Or you could pm me.

Thanks!

-Chris

Where are we at on the group-buy on this? I want in.

EDIT: Oh, I found the proper Group-Buy thread in Off-Topic http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7955

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    The Peleng is good for the price. The Nikon 8mm as converted by Oppenheimer Camera is vastly superior but also vastly more expensive.

Not True in my experience, I projected my first Peleng and the Nikon 8mm side by side @ Clairmont with some of the lens techs there - it just blew the doors off of the Nikon. I've seen some mediocre pelengs, but if you get a good one it's quite amazing.

I actually can't remember where I got my first Peleng.... from some sketchy website. Ken Stone and Mark Weingarter were involved in the second batch where we bought 10 units and PL'ed them. This was before any one offered them pre-made.

Nice Talking with you the other day Mitch !

Matt Uhry
    www.mattuhry.com

I'm now the proud owner of a Peleng 8mm complete with PL mount, the rear clear filter plus 5 more filters that I intend to convert to NDs.

I'll see if I can project the lens sometime early next week. So far, I'm pleased with it. Looks like it's going to be one of the best sub-$400 investments I've made in a while. I just have to get those NDs made.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.